WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: PA 22/20 Restore

Red face PA 22/20 Restore

Hello everyone,

Well, we took our 22/20 down for the annual and all looked good. We found no corrosion in the wings or tail. Then.....Sunday we went to the hanger and took the back-seat out and floorboards of the back-seat and luggage compartment. Rex tore all the old insulation out that was stuffed under the posts. We started looking really close and on the edges in the luggage compartment on the tubing there was a little rust. We sanded it and looked closer and one tube had a small hole in it. Yikes..not good. Then we scraped on a little rust spot on the other side on the tube under the door of the luggage compartment and linseed oil POURED OUT!!! Really not good. Then....I went up to the engine where Rex had taken the cowling off and said 'What's that'...Rex did not really look and said 'oh, just a seal'...I said 'NO, WHAT'S THAT!'. He looked and the head of a through bolt had sheared off and was sitting pretty as you please right beside the cylinder head. This had to have just happened because he does a careful check before each flight.

All this time we were so pleased with our little plane and this really bummed us out. We have sat around after flying having a beer talking about what we will do when we restore her. We planned on restoring her in a few years since the fabric is 30 yrs old. Rex has so many great ideas and we are really getting excited about the restore job now. He is an IA so we can do it all ourselves (well, I will hand him tools and do the sanding). We know it is a really big job and we will have to have patience and do this correctly. So, here are our questions (the first of many).

1. After he fixes the bolt issue, what is a good way to store the engine so it does not deteriorate during the restore on the airframe?

2. Rex is thinking we can do a lot of the work in our garage. But, he is worried about the fumes. Has anyone done a restore project in an attached garage and at what point must it be moved to the hanger because of fumes? He is thinking of using PolyFiber and PolyTone.

3. I remember seeing a few websites that list in chronological order the restoration of a plane including pictures and a narrative. We have seen the pictures at midwestaviators.org but there does not seem to be any text. Has anyone seen a site where someone has done this with a Tri-Pacer or Pacer?

That's about it. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, RexandKim
    Last edited by rexandkim; 10-02-2007 at 03:39 PM.

Addressing item number 1:

1. I had to do a "surprise" restoration on my airplane immediately after I got a new engine. When we took the airplane down I had 2 hours on the new engine. The restoration is still underway as I type this.

What we did with my engine was we screwed an extra oil filler neck into the existing one and filled the entire engine with about three cases of mineral oil (or you could use your current oil) to preserve it. I have to check it now and then because the oil will begin leaking past the rings. It is a bit messy, but I didn't want to use that sticky engine preserving stuff (I've heard too many bad things about it). Every once in awhile I put more oil in it and tip the engine around to make certain everything is coated. I have my engine on the engine mount and have the mount attached to a crate.
    Ben V.

Here is what I use.

http://www.sacskyranch.com/acatalog/...eserve_42.html

Don't know where you are but I am 90 miles west of Ft. Worth. I have a short wing fuselage jig for major repairs, 3 under restoration and 3 more in disrepair along with my flying Pacer and a bunch of parts etc.

My Dad has done a lot of covering in his attached garage with Poly-fiber and my Mom hasn't thrown him out yet.

I used polyfiber and polytone, and I highly recommend you get in touch with Jim and Dondi. They advertise in the magazine and have the video for sale for about $50. and it is very easy to understand. Also, buy the book for $25. and between the 2 you will be able to answer most of your questions. They are always available to answer questions too. Just a phone call away. Real easy to work with.
    This whole thing has turned out to be a much easier job than we anticipated when we started. My only problem right now is the weather turning colder and I still have some painting to do. I guess I will be building a paint boothe next.
    Tom T.

Relative to your question: Has anyone done a restore project in an attached garage and at what point must it be moved to the hanger because of fumes? He is thinking of using PolyFiber and PolyTone. Due to lack of affordable hangars, I am in the final actions of restoring a Pacer in my attached garage. Fumes are present, but a big fan keeps them moving out before they permeate into the house. (most of the time). I built a "poor mans paint booth" with PVC pipe and heavy drop cloths. It is portable so I can disassemble it. I put the pieces to paint into the booth, and paint them and leave them out until they get less smelly and then bring them back in and breakdown my paint booth. I finished the fuselage a month or so ago and took it back out to the tiedown at the airport and just wrapped it in a heavy tarp. I think the wings will be done by the weekend so I will take them out and finish the painting in the maintenance bay at the airport. My wife's understanding of this caper has had to be refreshed with a couple of trips to the Bellagio in Las Vegas, a couple of San Diego visits, some Temecula wine, and a Palm Springs retreat. I think it has turned out that the hangar would have been cheaper. We laugh about it now (but we didn't used to a time or two). So, tow your plane home and park the cars outside, and put it in the garage, you might set up a kegger of Bud to allow for happy neighbors, then go to work on it. A funny side light, I was walking through the neighborhood and came upon a guy walking his dog and he asked me if I knew where "that nut job" lives that is building a plane in his garage. I told him No.

Stephen 998 Guest

Also, take a look at Stewart's water based systems. They advertise in our magazine and will send you a demo DVD.

HA...that is so great. I need to act more disinterested so I can get some 'perks' out of Rex's hobby. Although he knows I like it to. I will pass all this along to him.

Kim

Hey you guys need to watch what you say to my wife or this will wind up costing a lot more than rebuild cost!

We really appreciate all the helpful information. Starting to actually look forward to the project. By the way I wouldn't trade my wife for any other helper, she is the best!

Rex.

joewcasey Guest

Lucky guy, I can't hardly teach my wife how to direct while I'm backing a trailer!

pmills Guest

Fumes? Shouldn't be a problem. Another story to show how far you can go. Many years ago while still single and building my Skybolt, I needed a warm place to finish doping the tail feathers. I brought them into my house and turned the spare bedroom into a fabric shop. I did all the brush doping work there. Amazingly, I didn't blow up the house. However, one day while working the local Girl Scouts stopped by selling cookies. When I answered the door, they took one look at my red eyes, sniffed the fumes, and left without even trying to sell me anything! In retrospect, I guess I wouldn't suggest that anymore. The house did smell pretty bad for a while after that...