WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Wagaero Wagabond

Default Wagaero Wagabond

I'm building a Wagabond. Is anyone else. Lots to talk about.
    Jon

pmills Guest

Jon,
    Do you have a rough idea what this project will cost? I'm toying with the idea of selling my Skybolt and either buying a Pacer (finished or project) or heading in the direction of another experimental project with a closed cockpit and at least two seats. Money is a really big issue since I'm also trying to anticipate the end of my working career in the fast lane.
    Pete

If you have not already found the Wagbuilder site, it can be useful:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wagbuilders
    One of my planes is a Wagabond Traveller, but it was "built" in 1982 and as far as I can determine is 99% PA 22/20. I guess the FAA was quite a bit more lax with the 51% idea back in the 80's. But for me, at least I know it was built right since Mr. Piper did it. My project plane is becoming a cross between a Pacer and a Sportsman 2+2 and by the time I am done there will probably be a few other crosses mixed in.

On the cost, I've lost track. I built the wing twice. It seems like everything but engine could be done for under $10,000. I now building my own fuel tanks with pop rivets and Pro Seal. I'm going to buy an A-65 (no elect.) from my mechanic for $5-6000. Thanks, Wayne, for posting the group. Did not know about it.

Wayne, a cross between a Pacer & Spts 2+2? Are you using a larger wing than the Wagabond?

I am extending the Piper wing 18" on each side. By only going 18" I don't have to change the struts.

pistoncan Guest

Default Wagabond

Quote Originally Posted by jonney38
    I'm building a Wagabond. Is anyone else. Lots to talk about.
    Jon
    Jon, I have been watching this formum for a long time but today someone decided to let me post on here too, and sent me an email. Whoever did that, Thank you.
    I too am building a wagabond using a doner fuselage from a PA22. I am in south centeral Missouri. I am 6-4 and close to 300 lbs (and gettin old) so I am considering doing it tandem for the extra room, sorta like one of those wide supercubs. I also intend to do the 18 inch wing extentions and the 24 inch fuselage extention. I have the blanton plan for it and the wag aero plans, plus the timmerman super cub CD.
    I am now involved in sandblasting the fuselage and doing the SB 819 plus replacing 3 tubes that are bad. Hopefully I will have that done by spring. If I can help anyone with their project feel free to contact me at topsaddle@first-comm.net Gary

Wayne,

I have a set of plans for a Wagabond and it is on the list after Patsy the Pacer and the Colt. I am interested in the 18" wing extension. Do you have any further information on them? i.e. are plans available, are they metal or wood etc.?

Ta! Curley

Gary, a local A&P/IA is just finishing up a modified PA 22/20 project. He made it a tandem configuration with a stick instead of a yoke. I don't think it has flown yet but it has got to be very close. I will see him in April if not sooner since I have him sign off my condition inspection on my Wagabond. It sure looked roomy with only one seat up front.

Curly, the plans I am using are the V6 STOL plans that Dave Blanton drew up. They are still available from his son in Kansas. I am going to be out of town for the next two weeks but if you want me to copy off that part of the plans, I could send them to you. Let me know.
    Wayne

pistoncan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Jacobson
    Gary, a local A&P/IA is just finishing up a modified PA 22/20 project. He made it a tandem configuration with a stick instead of a yoke. I don't think it has flown yet but it has got to be very close. I will see him in April if not sooner since I have him sign off my condition inspection on my Wagabond. It sure looked roomy with only one seat up front.
    Boy, would I like to see pictures of that one! Gary

flyboy12 Guest

Greetings,
    My name is Jim. I'm a new guy on the block. I also am building the
    Blanton V6 STOL. I opted to use the belted air power reduction drive with a
    Chevy 4.3 v6. The dyno program says it should produce 200hp at 2700 on the prop. The engine package weighs about the same as an IO-360 ready to fly. 413# on the RV6. I have to use a slightly larger radiator because of the slower airspeed.
    The fuse is stretched and one wing is close to finish on the stretch. I also am using the flat leafspring type landing gear like the Maule. This makes a very clean bottom.
    I also have a complete pacer fuse for sale. I was in the frame of mind to sell one of the projects and really didn't care which one. I have settled on selling the pacer.
    Gary, you emailed me about the project for sale. What's up with yours?

Jim

Where are you located and what year is your Pacer fuselage. I am (very slowly evidently) repairing rust damage on my '50 Pacer and might just buy another (if gooder than mine).

Thanks,

J.D. Barron

pistoncan Guest

Default Wayne, Pics of the tandem wagabond?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Jacobson
    Wayne, Any chance of getting pics of that tandem wagabond? Thanks Gary

Gary, I should be having the builder out to do my condition inspection on my 22/20 Wagabond Traveller with in the next few weeks. All I have to do is stay home long enough to finish the condition inspection for him to check over and sign off. I am not sure where he has his project now. I will find out and get some pictures for you as soon as I can.