X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MSchipul
    Journeyman Forumator
    • Dec 2007

Parts Manual

Trying to figure out what parts I am looking for with the unillustrated manual for the Clipper is difficult. I'm told that we share many parts with the other short wings. Has anyone had experience with using any of the other aircraft's illustrated parts manuals? How helpful are they and is any one better than the others?
    Melissa
  • JohnW

A lot of the Clipper parts are exactly the same right down to the part number. Some "PA-20" or "PA-22" parts are the "same" with a different p/n; this usually means they were slightly "improved" or "upgraded" and they otherwise are the same in fit and finish. Some parts are similar in usage and even appearance but do not interchange. Nothing is THAT easy and there is no way to tell from the "books" unless you can find IDENTICAL p/ns for the piece you want. At THAT point, the same p/ piece/part is the same, period.

Basically your only "hope" if you actually need an IPC (illustrated parts manual) is the PA-22. Even then, not EVERY SINGLE PIECE is "drawn" (although a LOT of stuff is still there in the "listing". Univair sells a reprint of the "last" updated IPC for the PA-22s (their p/n "22PM").

If you could be a little more specific about what exactly you are after, I'm sure there are SEVERAL of "we Clipper Nutz" here that can nail down what you are after (and usually where to get it). Also, several of the "counter staff" at Univair are quite well versed in stuff like this. Don't be "shy" about letting your fingers do the walking where you will PROBABLY be able to order up the part at the same time. "Rosie" is my "area rep" and he will often go the Extra Mile to help you with something "difficult". They have a LOT of stuff...

Comment

• MSchipul
      Journeyman Forumator
      • Dec 2007

Right now I am trying to figure out which cable attached to the trim is too long so that I can ask you guys what length you suggest. Since the Clipper parts manual lists several cables concerning trim, but only gives a (useless) number, I plan to build my own and probably need to replace the springs that hold the elevator "at attention" to the stabilizer. But I've had several of these instances and the List is a bit confusing since everything has the same name..... but different part numbers.....
      Melissa

Comment

• Gilbert Pierce
        Keyboard Burninator
        • Dec 2005

I have better luck using the drawing CD to identify the part numbers and then checking them online with UNIVAIR. Sometimes you get a better idea from the PA22-20 illustrated parts manual and then comparing it to the Clipper drawings on the CD. I have found the Clipper parts manual only helpful it you have found the part-number or suspected part-number from a different source and then verifying with the Clipper parts manual you have right part.

By checking UNIVAIR's on line catalog you can determine which parts they have legally substituted or superceded.
        I bought new bungee (springs) and the already made up cables that go from the trim yoke to the springs from Univair. My trim works as it should.
        If you want I will send you the part numbers. Finding the correct bungee was a little difficult as univair did not cary the part-number in the Clipper parts list.
        Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 08-08-2008, 07:29 PM.
        Gilbert Pierce
        Ex Board Member

Comment

• MSchipul
          Journeyman Forumator
          • Dec 2007

Gilbert, that would be great. One of the cables continues to jump off the pulley when I go full stick back so I'm thinking new cables and bungees (springs) would be helpful. And your part numbers will help too.
          Melissa

Comment

• Hillbilly
            Keyboard Burninator
            • Aug 2007

I'm sure you will Melissa, but give the pulley thats getting jumped a "special" inspection as well. - Hillbilly
            "Some people are like a Slinky, absolutely useless but you cant help but smile when you push them down the stairs."

Comment

• N5945H
              New Forumator
              • Sep 2006

ok, i am cornfused, I am the proud minion of a clipper and have no clue what these bungees ya'all talk about, are they in the trim system? rudder system? hell, my bungees are holdin the fuse up. I read a pirep by Bud Davisson (?) and he wrote about the rudder and alerons being connected in some fashon as in the pacers and tri's. I haven't seen or felt this in my clipper and I thought I had seen every bolt at least twice. she flys 60 hrs a year and I work on her 365.

Comment

• JohnW

These bungees (the subject of this discussion) are not the "rubber band" or "golf ball winding" type of bungees. These are one each, top and bottom, spring and cable assemblies that have the effect of moving the elevators opposite to the direction the stabilizers are trimmed in. If you stand outside your airplane and wind the trim handle, you can watch the stabs "screw" up and down as the stab mount (stationary) is raised or lowered on the jackscrew (rotates). The elevators "hesitate" a little while you start doing this, but then you will see them move in the opposite direction the stabs go. This is all part of the "airfoil modification action", which is how the trim system "adjusts" the Angle of Attack for flight in a given attitude.

BTW, I recall a couple airplanes where the two trim cables were installed "switched". That is, the "top assembly was on the bottom" and vice versa. Since they are two different lengths, they can SEEMINGLY be installed right at or near the "center" or "neutral" position, but is should be easily seen how if the "longer cable" was installed in place of the "shorter cable", there would be "excess cable" at full travel. As far as this "squawk", it's possible that you have TWO "long" cables, where someone didn't appreciate the finer points of what they were working on (like...that the cables ARE different lengths) or was ignorant to the "this part number is the top one and this part number is the bottom one. Sorry, can't remember WHICH GOES WHERE off the top of my head...I tend to NOT try to remember "stuff" like this, instead appreciating each and every time that I have to "go look it up. That way I avoid "mistakes" and having to redo the work after the "ops check". Its ALWAYS easier to do it right the first time than to have to take it apart and do it "over again", right?

This needs to be chased down to the bitter end, as you REALLY don't want to risk a jammed elevator on takeoff or landing (although "full back stick" pretty much means "landing stage only"), even for a couple seconds. The Drawings are invaluable here! Since you no longer have the cable assemblies "in a marked bag", you've been handed something of a "Mini College Course" to complete. Get the CORRECT part numbers sorted out for "top and bottom" from the SWPC Drawings CD, then go to the [separate and distinct] Drawing for the flight control cables to get the linear measurements for each. THEN you can "get it right", whatever the screwup is. You see this "error" once in a while (and personally, I consider it something of a form or "Russian Roulette" -no slur intended for any Ruskies reading this!), and to me it is quietly disturbing. Oft times, this mistake "rides along" with another common one...the "yoke" for the stabs that runs on the jackscrew is installed upside-down a lot. This makes for an "ineffective" or "inadequate authority" flare. Geometry is a wonderful thing (although NOT always completely "straightforward").

Comment

Working...