• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • challenger_i
    Novice Forumator
    • Sep 2009

Airfoil Choices

Question:

What would be the implications, both good and bad, of changing the airfoilf from the USA 35 to the NACA 23012?

Would it be beneficial, to use the 23012 on a new-build project?
  • Curley
    Super Forumator
    • Dec 2005

Before you make any decision on an airfoil change, I suggest you get a book called "GA Airfoils by Harry Riblett". I got mine from the EAA in Oshkosh and it has details of 35B plus many other similar airfoils and while it tends to be a little pedantic in places, is the easiest of any similar books to understand.

I will be using Riblett's GA30-613.5 on my "experimental" project as I want a wing that will give the highest cruise speed for HP and good low speed handling. Time will tell if it's the right decision but it's not hard to change if I am wrong. (Yeah I know - rip off all that lovely new fabric, replace the ribs, etc and recover! )

Comment

• Geoff Newcombe
      Master Forumator
      • Aug 2005

" ..... on a new-build project?"

By that do you mean building a non-certificated aircraft, or a restoration and build up of a short wing?

Comment

• challenger_i
        Novice Forumator
        • Sep 2009

Ummmnnnn.... Well, I did post this in the "Experimental Shortwings" section...

Yes'r, this idea is for an experimental build, such as a Wagabond, and the like. It would be WAY too much paper work, and hassle, to do it to a certificated bird.

So, my question stands: what would the effects be, both pro, and con, for using the NACA 23012, rather than the USA 35?

Originally posted by Geoff Newcombe
        " ..... on a new-build project?"

By that do you mean building a non-certificated aircraft, or a restoration and build up of a short wing?

Comment

• challenger_i
          Novice Forumator
          • Sep 2009

I'd love to see the profile of that airfoil section. Sound's interesting.

I was basing my idea on the difference in performance, between the J-3 (USA 35), and the Taylorcraft (23012). With the same chord, the same span,
          and the same power, the T-Cart outperforms the J-3. I know there is more to the comparison, than just the airfoil, but it does play a large part.

The 23000 series is still a good performing section, as it is the one used on the majority of the Van's designs.

Thoughts? Hints? Suggestions?

Originally posted by Curley
          Before you make any decision on an airfoil change, I suggest you get a book called "GA Airfoils by Harry Riblett". I got mine from the EAA in Oshkosh and it has details of 35B plus many other similar airfoils and while it tends to be a little pedantic in places, is the easiest of any similar books to understand.

I will be using Riblett's GA30-613.5 on my "experimental" project as I want a wing that will give the highest cruise speed for HP and good low speed handling. Time will tell if it's the right decision but it's not hard to change if I am wrong. (Yeah I know - rip off all that lovely new fabric, replace the ribs, etc and recover! )

Comment

• d.grimm

A old friend (deceased) put a clipped T-Craft wing on his outlaw Vagabond. Said it flew nice but he didn't get the angle of incidence just right. Didn't see any big improvements high or slow speed.
            Dave

Comment

• challenger_i
              Novice Forumator
              • Sep 2009

Hmmmmnnnn..... Ok, the inaccurate incidence would cause the lack of change. Ya'll are going to make me have to build a Vag, and two sets of wings, aren't you?!

Let's see here: Beefed up Wagabond, O-290D2, 74x56 screw, 23012 airfoil...
              This could be interesting.

Comment

• challenger_i
                Novice Forumator
                • Sep 2009

By golly, I found a lead!

There is a bird, called the Myers PM-1 Special. It is a very modified J-3, and has a clipped Taylorcraft wing (22ft 7 in.). Definitely qualifies as a Short Wing Piper!

Located in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, the EAA Aviation Museum is a year-round destination to explore world class aviation and aircraft displays and galleries.

Comment

Working...