WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: oil cooler line stc for flexible lines

Smile oil cooler line stc for flexible lines

Hi,
    Anyone know who has STC for oil cooler line change from pipes to flexible
    lines? Should include attachment fittings to engine and oil cooler.
    My local IA states that when you change the lines you will need to replace
    current line connectors for both engine access case and oil cooler. 1955 Piper
    Tri pacer 150hp
    Appreciate any help
    Dan S
    2905p

Here is the last posting I made on this subject a little while back ---

The STC for this mod --- SA1033EA, is now owned by and hopefully still available from:

Walter Thompson, Jr.
    PO Box 269, 47 High Top Rd.
    Spring Glen NY 12483

It was originally owned by Walter Thompson, Sr. but last we heard from member Frank Green he has passed away and his son now has it. Frank got the STC from the junior Thompson.

I would also like to take this opportunity to introduce you to Andy Anderson's site ---- http://home.earthlink.net/~andy2220/id4.html You will find a wealth of information there.

Geoff N.

P.S. This was found by putting "oil cooler STC" in the SEARCH function.

Goeff,
    Thanks for the response.
    I did go to the FAA STC file and looked up the STC. Would you have Frank Green
    e-mail or phone. I would like to make contact. Would need to current phone of the
    holder of STC.
    I would assume all I would need is a copy of the STC to satisfy the installation.
    I did contact a source about making up the hoses using the listed part number.
    Thanks for you help.
    Dan S.

I don't have Frank Green's email or phone. He checks in here from time to time and may respond to your query. However, you have Walter Thompson, Jrs. complete address, have you tried calling "information" for his number?
    Geoff N.

Goeff,
    Nope. But I will
    Thanks,
    Dan

Post on the other site and I'll respond. I'm done here.
    Aviationaholic

Default Oil cooler line STC

Quote Originally Posted by dsimpson View Post
    Hi,
    Anyone know who has STC for oil cooler line change from pipes to flexible
    lines? Should include attachment fittings to engine and oil cooler.
    My local IA states that when you change the lines you will need to replace
    current line connectors for both engine access case and oil cooler. 1955 Piper
    Tri pacer 150hp
    Appreciate any help
    Dan S
    2905p

Dan,

I don't normally post on the forum but your question was forwarded to me by Cliff Van Vleet.

On January 27, 2010 I received a copy of the STC from Walter Thompson's son. He is in the process of gettting it transfered to his name. While he is doing so, he is not charging for the STC, and he sent me a copy registered to my name and address, but not my N number. There is one problem with the, STC however. It calls for an AN321-8 hose fitting. on the end of the flexible line. There is no such AN fitting. Aeroquip made a 321 hose fitting that is very similar to their current 491 fitting which is a MS24587 fitting. I have yet to check with Aeroquip to see if that is the correct updated version. I have seen an Aeroquip 321 fitting (no AN prefix) and is it is very similar to MS24587. But, Aeroquip doesn't list a 321 fitting any longer. If you want to get the STC, you can contact Walter Thompson Jr. at

P.O. Box 269
    47 Mountain Top Road
    Spring Glen, NY 12483
    845-434-1252

Tom

Tom.
    Thank you for your message. I did find the phone number for Mr Thompson and
    had left a message today for him. If the part numbers that are listed for the change over
    are not all available that that mean we could not use the STC? I did e-mail aeroquip
    with the part numbers listed on STC but have not got a response yet.I let you all know
    what I find out.
    The only reason I will be doing this change over is because of me putting the
    alternator conversion in place. Otherwise I have had no issues with the standard steel
    lines.
    Want to pass on my thanks to all on this webb site that has helped me out.
    Dan
    2905p

I also left a message for him today and he responded and said he would be mailing it out to us. Unfortunately no one was around to answer the phone when he called back. I would also like to know what to do about the unavailable part(s).

Hi,
    Did get a call back from Walter Thompson and had a very nice visit. He was very
    kind and would mail out the STC to me. So thanks everyone for the help.
    I talked to a local IA and he was checking with someone in ILL that his business
    works with about making up the proper hoses and connectors. I can pass on the results
    when I get them taken care of.
    Dan
    2905p

Default oil cooler line stc for flexible lines

After getting the STC from Walter Tompson Jr. I call Aeroquip technical support looking for an update or revised fitting to match the AN321-8 fitting called for in the STC. They could find no such fitting or revision. I did find an old Whetherhead fitting with the numbers 321-8 stamped on along with a Weatherhead symbol. Since Eaton Corp. makes both Aeroquip and Weatherhead I called Technical Support again and sent them photos. Again no luck, they could find no record. What I intend to do is to use Aeroquip 491 fittings which is approved for the 303 hose that is called for in the STC. If necessary, I may make a log book entry that I used the 491 fittings and that this is a minor alteration not requiring a 337 other than the one required for the STC. The reality is that anyone that looks at it will see the proper fittings were used and the paper work was filed and that will be the end of it.

Hi,
    I received the STC paperwork from Walter Thompson ,jr. My question is when installing the cooler lines are they going up over top engine as original design or under engine.
    My local IA state he would want them going under engine back to accessory case. He also stated that length of cooler hoses are much shorter than whats listed in the STC I received. I believe he was using the information from what Univair is selling. Could some one advise me on this. I will be planning to get the hoses made up soon.
    The last posting was very much appreciated. Everyone thats gives feed back has been very helpful.
    Dan
    2905p
    Last edited by dsimpson; 03-12-2010 at 12:04 AM.

On all of the flexible line installations I have seen the lines were run in the original fashion.
    Geoff N.

Mine are routed under the engine. The left side passes between the cylinders and the intake tubes and the right side goes low and wide to clear the alternator and exhaust. Going under has the advantage of no sharp bends and clearing the alternator without extra clamping but that doesn't necessarily make it the best choice.

Jeff

Jeff,
    What length are the lines on your engine? The STC that I have is calling for
    40 plus inches for both lines.Which tells me they would be to long going under engine.
    Dan

Sorry, I haven't been on for a couple of days. I will try to get the measurements for you later today. My guess is who ever did the installation on mine made the lines to fit.

Jeff

I checked what's on my plane. The hose going to the left side of the oil cooler is ~37 inches long. The hose going to the right side is ~55 inches long but could be shorten by a foot or more through better routing. For some reason the hose to the right side starts at the top of the accessory case and goes left in a big half circle to the bottom of the case instead of going to the right across the top then down.

Once again I'd like to mention I don't know which way is best, this is just the way mine has been since I bought it.

Jeff

Jeff,
    Thanks for the information.
    I looked at a 53 pacer over the weekend. It had the flex hoses put on it. they were
    routed under engine back to accessory case. The owner is a IA. I ordered my hoses
    yesterday. Have them made by supplier. One hose will be 39 inches and one 33 inches.
    If you look in the Univair catalog you will see them for sale. One is 38" and one 32"
    I would expect what I have coming will fit properly. I did request firesleeve protection
    also.
    Dan

Ready to replace lines on a 1957 Tripacer. 39" and 33 " makes sense.
    Does anyone have the other specifications? Inside and outside dimensions of hose and fitting type?
    Thanks

I know this is an old thread but thought i would see what i could find? I am in need of the flex cooler line stc. I called the number for Walter's son but did not get a call back. I talked to Casper labs, the manufacturer of the oil filter adapter that i bought. He told me that SWPC owned the STC now? Not sure about that. Any help is appreciated.

The only STC out there is the one owned by Walter Thompson Jr. He is hard to reach, so what I would do is leave a message on his phone giving your name, address, plane make, model, S/N, and N number. He may or may not call you back and or he may just send you the STC. I tried to purchase the STC from him a couple of years ago, but he didn't want to sell it.

Univair does sell the some hoses pre-made for the conversion, but it takes a field approval to install them. I have known folks that have done the conversion as a minor alteration and had it signed off with a log book entry by their A&P. It's all a matter of interpretation of what is a minor alteration.

Tom Anderson