WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: IFR Cross Country Today

Default IFR Cross Country Today

Just got back from my IFR cross-country a couple hours ago and my instructor told me I'm ready for my check-ride. We flew airways and didn't use the GPS. Did the NDB 17 (my choice) at KMQI, LOC 19 at KEDE, and VOR-A (partial panel) back into W96.

We flew a C****a because I haven't gotten the TriPacer certified yet (or the GNC300XL and KN-53 installed), but I'm excited that I'm getting close...2 or 3 weeks. I just have to work on the oral portion now.

Not really Short Wing related except I own one and will be flying it IFR in the not too distant future.

------------------------------------
    Shameless plug for the new flight school at W96...delete this portion if you need to.

New Kent Aviation has the lowest rates in the Richmond, VA area. Two C****as, one 172RG and one 172P. Owner/instructor is a young furloughed 737 guy who is doing this because he loves flying, not because he's building hours.

Oh and he inherited his grandfather's Cub...so he's a Rag Wing Piper guy too.

End shameless plug...

Chad
    Current
    '56 PA-22

Former
    2000 Bushby Mustang II
    1946 Ercoupe 415-C
    1964 PA-28-160

Wayne Guest

The Pacer makes a good IFR platform. I personally, would prefer the Tri-P with the rudder interconnects removed for precision approach reasons. I have never shot an ILS approach with a Tri-P but I have shot many with my Navion (with rudder interconnect cables). With even the slightest yaw input there is an exaggerated roll input that must be compensated for in the Navion. Not that difficult, however I find that cross controlling these inputs works best on the Navion for very slight corrections on the localizer. WAyne

Default Thanks Wayne

Thanks for the insight Wayne. I'm glad to hear that the Pacer makes a good IFR platform. I was wondering how it would handle it. I'm going to have to get a 58" prop to make the 500 fpm climbs when loaded in the summer. I just have to find one now. I also bought an aux tank to help with the IFR legs of the plane...just have to save up to get it installed.

I've got the interconnects so I'll try cross-controlling it on the LOC. Any other tips would be appreciated.

I've busted my butt flying 2-3 times a week since the beginning of December so I wouldn't have to keep relearning things. I'm fortunate that I'll get to use the plane at work (C206) to help stay proficient. I'll grab one of the full-time pilots to go up and be my safety pilot a couple times a week after I get my ticket and every opportunity I get for actual.

What year Navion? My wife and I really wanted one before I bought the TriPacer. I love em! They are sweet birds and I test flew one up in MD. They're really nice looking, are stable, and I think it'd be cool to fly something designed by North American. I realized that we'd never pull it off when I saw how much insurance and annual would be. I wouldn't be able to put fuel in it until July ! Maybe one day we'll be able to swing one...

Thanks again for the input!
    Current
    '56 PA-22

Former
    2000 Bushby Mustang II
    1946 Ercoupe 415-C
    1964 PA-28-160

Wayne Guest

She is a 1949 aircraft. One of the last "A" models and upgraded to an E-225 engine. I bought her in 1983 so she is part of the family.
    I am not sure how much roll the interconnect will inject into the handling of your plane but if it is objectionable to you. You might want to look into the STC that allows the removal of the interconnect springs. WAyne

Or, you can just loosen them up a little. There aint no spec for the tensions on the springs.
    Tom T.

I have many hard IFR hours with no autopilot in my Cutlass RG, but no actual IFR in our Tripacer. It is IFR, and has glideslope, heated pitot, etc. I would think the rudder interconnect would be advantageous. I can fly the Tripacer for hours, straight and level with my feet. This leaves hands free for checking the low altitude chart in case of a change of route assignment, or checking the approach plates. Why would you want to remove the interconnect? I have quite a number of hours in craft without the interconnect, and this is our second Tripacer. I like the interconnect, and would not remove it. I see no problem at all with it. George

Same here.
    Larry Portouw
    N8141C PA-22
    E95/Benson, AZ

Thanks for all the input. I'm looking forward to getting some flyable weather here (clouds are coming with cold and snow this year) so I can finish the ticket (trying for checkride the week of the 22nd). I'm also looking forward to getting the plane upgraded and logging some time in it.

I was thinking the interconnects would help with the chart folding and looking up unexpected ATC clearances.

Chad
    Last edited by chad weaver; 02-12-2010 at 10:10 PM.
    Current
    '56 PA-22

Former
    2000 Bushby Mustang II
    1946 Ercoupe 415-C
    1964 PA-28-160

Chad:

I have been flying my Pacer for over ten years and got my IFR ticket in it about four years ago. I just finished another page in my log book yesterday and have now flown the Pacer 83 hours in either actual or simulated instrument conditions. I have the same set up with a GNC300XL and the KN-53 for the ILS, LOC and VOR. The Pacer is a very stable aircraft and the IFR certification has added a lot of utility to it. I have two extra wing tanks for a total of 56 gallon of fuel. The extra fuel helped me twice over the years. Once I had to go to an alternate since the ceiling had dropped below the 200 feet on an ILS, but the alternate was not good either. I lew to another airport about 85 miles away with better weather. The other time I had to hold for about 35 minutes for a thunderstorm to move out of the way so I could get home into Winchester, VA. Without the extra fuel I would have landed and wait it out, but it would have taken more time since you then need to file again.
    You will enjoy your Shortwing with the added capabilities.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Chad

I really like my interconnects as well. It is VERY easy to cross control when you have to, as I have no problem whatsoever.. I also like like flying with just my feet on long flights in still air. I earned my ticket in a Colt. and now fly a "stock" '55 Tripe. Both are as sweet as my Lil'RedHead.
    FWIW
    Johnnie

Juergen,

I'd like to fly up and take a look at your Pacer sometime. I'm down at New Kent and the kids need to get their stamps from the airports in your area...

Glad to hear the TriPacer will make a good IFR platform, I just need to get my ticket and the plane finished.

Chad
    Current
    '56 PA-22

Former
    2000 Bushby Mustang II
    1946 Ercoupe 415-C
    1964 PA-28-160

Thanks Johnnie. I like my interconnects too and figure they'll be a big help flying in IMC.

Chad
    Current
    '56 PA-22

Former
    2000 Bushby Mustang II
    1946 Ercoupe 415-C
    1964 PA-28-160

Let me know when so I can make sure I'm at the airport.

Juergen
    Pacer 3342Z

I will. It'll be a little while. I've got the exhaust system off now and I need to have more surgery to clean up my thumb (self amputation, which I don't recommend).

We'll shoot for this spring sometime and I'll send you a PM when things start coming together on my end.

Chad
    Current
    '56 PA-22

Former
    2000 Bushby Mustang II
    1946 Ercoupe 415-C
    1964 PA-28-160