WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: A Video of my Pickup Trip to get my short wing.

Default A Video of my Pickup Trip to get my short wing.

HERE is a youtube of my flight from Tucson to Pueblo in March. Picked up my shortwing!
    My license plate on my pickup says "I'd rather be Flying." How true.

Very nice. Congrats on the new bird. We need pictures.

You are going to have a ball with it, congrats.
    Tom T.

Thanks Tom T and SandyM.

It is fun. I'm still struggling with getting a good brake pedal (handle) and cannot get the lines to the Clevelands bled. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and hire a mechanic for what I thought would be a simple maintenance item. The bleeder screw (llooks like a grease fitting thingy) does not 'bleed' when I back it out and apply pressure to system. The only way fluid flows is to remove the fitting all the way, and I have only soft brakes after that.

Is there a cross section blueprint of the fitting to explain what it might be supposed to look like? That is, some sort of spring or ball valve under it etc?

Regards
    Bob

Bob,

I am assuming that you have Cleveland disk brakes with the original parking brake valve If you do, bleeding the brake is only part of the problem to getting good pressure at the johnson bar. Once the brakes are bled, pull the brake handle as far a possible and set the parking brake. Remove the plug from the master cylinder and fill with 5606 to the bottom thread. Reinstall the plug and then release the parking brake. You should now have at least some pressure at when you pull the handle. You may want to repeat the process again if you think the handle moves to far. The trick is to get the right amount of fluid in the system. To do that, you have to trap the fluid in the lower brake system with the parking brake valve and adjust the level in the master cylinder.

Tom Anderson

Thanks Tom,

Yes Cleveland disc brakes, using the former master cylinder (looks like the brake pedal out of my old "Champ" with a foot pedal and all, drilled to accept the connection to the J-bar. I suppose it was an old "cub" wheel brake cylinder, re-applied to use in the TriPacer?
    The hex screw bleeder fitting, (has a rubber 'condom' on it between uses to keep clean) does not act like any brake bleeder I've ever seen or used at least in automotives. The only way fluid will come out is if it is removed completely, which seems to defeat the purpose of a special bleeder fitting. On any other bleeder fitting I have used, it only takes a partial or whole turn to get fluid to flow.

I'm going in for annual, and when I went to the airport this AM for a nice relatively cool calm high CAVU day here in Colorado, after I drained the sumps, the master sump (gascolator?) would not stop dripping. I tried turning it in case there was some grit or such under the fitting, and it would not stop, in fact had a steady almost stream of gas, so I shut the gas master valve, pushed back into the hangar and gave up for the day. So I have "fluid" issues now, and best deal with them systematically during the annual.

Regards,
    Bob