WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Glue Removal?????

Default Glue Removal?????

All,

I am trying to remove the old door seal glue form my shortwing doors and getting frustrated. Can some one share with me, what you have had luck with, short of a jackhammer? Thanks.

Sid

Default Glue

have used MEK with some success, but it is dangerous stuff, need ventalation and gloves. Some times GooBeGone will work.
    Andy Anderson
    PA-22/20-150

halestorm Guest

3M adhesive remover, get it at NAPA. Let it soak in and it should come right off.

-sam

Thanks, Sam and Andy, I have tried almost every thing but those two, will try again tomorrow.
    Sid

repip2312p Guest

mek will take of the glue but it will also take of paint. I found out the hard way.

Thanks for the warning. Some stuff I tried on some fabric glue took paint off and left the glue.

p_everette Guest

Fingernail polish remover (acetone) and WD40 will remove adhesive residue also.

Phil

someone mentioned 3m adhesive remover 3m makes lots of stuff[i know i work there lol] anyway they make several differant adhesive removers too so that being said the one in the black and gold can is stronger then the ones in the white and red can but they both will probably work

12384 Guest

The 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner (Red/White Can) is Part# 051135-08984. NAPA and your better Auto Parts stores carry. They know it as "3M Gorilla Snot Cleaner". The "gorilla snot" is the 3M Yellow Adhesive used for rubber moulding and some trim pieces. Excellent product. Goes with "must have" WD-40, Marvel Mystery Oil, etc. Won't affect paint, but does remove glue, bugs, etc. I would be leery of using on fabric where it glues to airframe. It does take off wax. If you live in state with annual windshield sticker renewals, this is the ticket for cleaning old residue and smears.

Thanks Everybody,

I got the red and white can yesterday. Worked in the hanger today (brrrrrrr). Our NAPA did not have the black and gold can, but the red and white did the trick (with lots of elbow grease). There were several layers of various color glue, probably 40 years worth. I would probably be using a razor blade if it wasn't for this forum. Thanks.

Sid

I used the "3M Yellow Adhesive used for rubber moulding and some trim pieces" to replace some rubber trim on my Colt. I'm not an artist, so of course I got some where I didn't want it. Some of the new crud is on metal, but I also have some on the painted Stits. Will the 3M "yellow/gold can stuff" help me removing this "extra"? THANKS

The 3M “yellow gold can” adhesive remover did what I needed. Removed the goo and the shine, but not the paint or stits. Thanks