• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mbarrieault
    New Forumator
    • Sep 2012

Pacer Main Landing Gear (MLG)

Good Morning All,

I have a question MLG. My RT MLG tire wears on the outboard edge of the tire and I currently don't see away to adjust the gear. Any tips??

Mark
  • PeterL
    Keyboard Burninator
    • May 2006

How are your bungee chords? Are they new?
    Just seach "tire wear" under Search, you find some great info., here's a link that I found.

Peter
    Previous SW President 2011-2013

Comment

• mbarrieault
      New Forumator
      • Sep 2012

Peter,

Thanks for the tips. The cords are new and very stiff I also so don't see much of a change in wheel alignment when moving the aircraft forward or aft in the hangar. I will post the solution when I find it.Thanks for the tips.

Mark

Comment

• pacer44k
        SWPC Water Boy
        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by mbarrieault
        Good Morning All,

I have a question MLG. My RT MLG tire wears on the outboard edge of the tire and I currently don't see away to adjust the gear. Any tips??

Mark
        Mark,
        Only the right tire wears unevenly? My tires also wear on the outboard edges, but it is symmetrical. I have a PA-20 with narrow gear, and I have always just chalked it up to stiff bungees, and the fact that I operate off the most abrasive paved runway known to man. I let it wear down to about 1/3 remaining tread, and then flip them. Pain in the keester, but at least I can get my $$$ worht out of my tires.
        Let us know if you discover anything.
        Mark
        Mark Ohlau
        1950 PA-20 N7744K
        KJAQ

Comment

• Chris Iriarte
          Novice Forumator
          • Jun 2012

I just attended Clyde Smith Jr.'s (the Cub Doctor) restoration clinic -- he said the gear alignment procedure is take the wheel off the gear, but a long pipe over the axel and bend the gear in the direction to adjust the improper toe in/out. If your tire is wearing on the outside, you have too much toe-in and need to bend the gear "to the rear" to add more toe-out. I would add, tape over the axel threads to protect them.

Chris

Comment

• Tom Anderson
            Forum Administrator
            • Nov 2006

There is a procedure on the SHort Wing Rigging CD that shows how to heat the axle to adjust it. It can be adjusted cold, but you don't know what iand where it is bending.

Tom Anderson

Comment

• Huskytracks
              New Forumator
              • May 2013

Cold bending is hard!

I have excessive toe out so I tried to change the alignment on the main gear on my Tirpacer. Turns out the main gear are tough! I realistic terms you can't bend the mains much.

I secured the plane and trussed it up with 8 ft 1in solid extension bars in each axle and hooked come-alongs onto the end of both so I could pull symmetrically. A lot of racheting and pulling and I was only able to get about half the toe out adjusted away. I put a lot of force on those bars and they bent instead of the gear bending into alignment. I would recommend heating and bending for anything over a degree or so.

Should have known I was in for an adventure when I told my I.A. the plan and he chuckled and said "good luck"

Comment

Working...