WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Pacer Rebuild

good to know. I need to look more closely at the actual condition of the metal on my baffles. May just need to replace the seals (definitely) and modify the front intakes to cover bottom half of front cylinders (like Gilbert did). Seems 8130s don't apply to me as a US resident. One more project to add to the list.
    Slipping the surly bonds of Earth...

Quote Originally Posted by dcflyer84 View Post
    good to know. I need to look more closely at the actual condition of the metal on my baffles. May just need to replace the seals (definitely) and modify the front intakes to cover bottom half of front cylinders (like Gilbert did). Seems 8130s don't apply to me as a US resident. One more project to add to the list.
    Dcflyer it depends on the application.
    http://www.aviationpros.com/article/...s-approval-tag
    N7743D 1957 PA-22/20-150 "Super Pacer" based 1H0

SWPC 15480

thanks for the article link, Jim. Proved interesting but not very illuminating to this specific case in question. From how I read the Airforms website for this product, it seems they are using the form for the export purposes rather than certifying the authenticity of the Class III part. I reach that conclusion by the fact that they charge extra for the 8130 form instead of having it already figured into the product's pricing. If they were using the 8130 for its authenticity purpose, it seems they would want that to go out with every product they sold and thus, have it figured into the purchase cost without it being a separate item. I guess I'll find out if/when I order one of their products, yes?

Yes you will. I didn't realize how many different 8130-xx forms there are, that is just the -3!

I'm "lucky" in that my metal baffles are in good shape I just need to do new seals on them sooner or later. The new ones look great Peter.

SWPC 15480

Quote Originally Posted by dcflyer84 View Post
    I reach that conclusion by the fact that they charge extra for the 8130 form instead of having it already figured into the product's pricing. If they were using the 8130 for its authenticity purpose, it seems they would want that to go out with every product they sold and thus, have it figured into the purchase cost without it being a separate item. I guess I'll find out if/when I order one of their products, yes?
    The charge for the 8130's was $50.00 extra and that was because they have to hirer an outside DAR. I had to wait for a fe days for this sign off because this person was out of town, maybe hunting with Troy!!!!

I finished securing them the other day and they were a perfect fit, just needed a small 1/4" square to be trimmed where the baffle meets the bottom bolt under the #2 cylinder. Very nice to work with, plus the seal was attached already which saves much time and the cause for having wobbly pops......

I did a dry test run to install the cowl, and the idea is to move the Oil Cooler to the rear and get rid of the nose scoop. A friend Ian has an extra nose bowl from a Colt and it as to close to the back plate of the spinner, so I'll stay with my original bowl and just modify the scoop.Stewarts STC mentions that one can do this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Lucky CAM company is just up the road from me and I picked up a unserviceable Oil Cooler (2000A), to check the fit behind the #4. Very close, however the STC indicates that a piece of the mount bracket can be cut away to fit around the engine mount. I may have to extend the back side out also to help the mounting fins on the other side to be secured to the baffle.

Picture is sideways,but you get the idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    I did a dry test run to install the cowl, and the idea is to move the Oil Cooler to the rear and get rid of the nose scoop. A friend Ian has an extra nose bowl from a Colt and it as to close to the back plate of the spinner, so I'll stay with my original bowl and just modify the scoop.Stewarts STC mentions that one can do this.
    Looks good Peter, you obviously don't have three kids and a wife/teacher out on summer break! I'm sure you'll be happy to have PXX flying again.

Other than asthetics what benefits are there to moving the cooler? Mine worked fine and flew cool the bit I did fly it but I can tell I need to redo my baffle seals. Love the pictures and inspiration to get going on mine!

Jim

SWPC 15480

Yes, Peter, it looks great and glad to know the baffles fit real well! I just checked the metal on mine and they look fine. Will just replace the seals for now. Are all the seals offered by Airforms fiberglas reinforced? It wasn't clear to me on the site, but you've actually talked to them. would that also include all the color options available? I'll likely stick with black, though. none of the other colors match my paint job!

Dale, black is the standard color and the others are an up price. Another service they do is powdercoat them,but that takes a bit longer. No fiberglas.

I wonder about the fitting of the nose bowl not being centered, I have a picture from when the 290 was in and its not centered also.

The first picture is the new one and the second is old one.

It's been a few days since I've signed on here, the reason is I have working on the plane all last week. Many small things to that take up many hours. Hopefully I can have it all done to fly to the convention, its going to be close.

Well, I guess I should bring you all current on the progress. I'll start with yesterday.
    Windshield,it is in,major progress there. Had some great advice from my friend Arnie in Thunder Bay, Ont. He said to start with the bottom, insert in the bottom fairing and then take masking tape and run it on the window along the trim line. This gives the shape of the window, cut/trim to this shapeline and you will have a perfect bottom part of the windshield that has the shape of the trim. It worked. I then installed the WS to check the top and sides, took the time to check, recheck, re-recheck x 5 times over before trimming. I used a Dremel for the trimming and sanded with emery cloth. Worked very well for me.

The bottomline, is one word--- patience!! Don't hurry, (you may beat me in your speed), I took the whole day, maybe I was slow....

The days leading to this were very full, I had the last two weeks off and spent them at the hangar, (except on the weekend, OT at work). Had some AN bolts back ordered for the struts, replaced those, installed the landing lights, this took most of a day. Al Bowman came up this week and helped with the strobe and tail lights. Great to have help. Ken Patry also helped with rigging of the flaps, ailerons and windshield Jeff Hopson, (one of our EF candidates) helped also. Great to have the extra hands!!!
    So, lots of work done, alot of small details that take time, stuff that cann't be rushed.

In the progress of working on my plane I find that some items need re-doing, bogus repairs or just plain not doing it right and this really gets me going. ie: the defrost had some kind of porting that sent the air to the defrost but limited the amount to your feet. See picture, I had to change this to the proper lines. Even with the old 290 engine I had in it, the logs showed it was overhauled, but after flying behind it I seriously don't think so. What was said the the logs,was not done and what was done was not logged. And, you only find this out after owning it. Bottomline, do repairs the right way, or just don't do anything. Ok, I'm off my soapbox!!

Update, post convention. Got right back into the swing of things. Mounted the oil cooler and finished the primer lines, (Jim at the airport helped me with the primer lines).

Peter,
    Looking good, and it is nice to see someone making progress. Only comment that I have, and it is likely premature. The primer lines as you show in the photo do not appear to have any support. There is alot of soft tubing, which will allow for movement. That soft copper will eventually work harden, and break.
    Mark Ohlau
    1950 PA-20 N7744K
    KJAQ

ah yes, we are going to wait for the final install of the cooler and oil lines. Thxs for noticing. Good eye.

PL

Had the day off yesterday, (well maybe not, CS called and did an O/T trip to MCI), went to the hangar before the call to work and found my nose bowl painted after the repair. Plans later to have the Oil Cooler inlet removed and also some work on my lower cowl later this fall.
    Also, Jim bent the alternator arm over just a bit to line up with the alternator attachments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Well, moving along today spent most of the day at the hangar........10:30 am to 21:30. finished hooking up the alternator and wiring, some of the baffle at the front. Secured some wiring. Installed a quick drain for the Oil sump. Scat hosing is in. Carb air control hook up. Doesn't sound like much, but it take time.

PL

Progress sounds good. It will be flying soon now...

Worked on the Pacer today and last Monday and Tuesday. This is where progress seems go slow. Working on replacing all the C/B's which require some wiring. New C/B panel is done, needs paint. All instruments are in.
    Off work all week should be completed. Or, have I said that!!!

You may have said that, but at this point I may actually be ready to believe it...getting close...

Peter, I don't know how I missed this thread before, but i just read through the whole thing. So sorry to hear about the accident! You must have had a lot on your mind at the convention.

It was great to follow your progress, and the pics were great to have. It does sound like you're now very close to the end. Maybe someday my engine bay will look as sharp as yours (and Dale Berger's).... no, probably not! Nice touch on the red engine mount! I think I'm also getting close to the end; should have my new struts in over this weekend. WBB

Thxs Walt,

more progress this week, lowered the window, now the front fairings fit much better. Pre-oiled the engine, made a standpipe with a hose and a cap for some low psi, injected close to 2 lt. Cleaned up most of the wiring under the panel. Now, installing the UBG gauge. Not much left.

Other than those cheap wore out avionics you have in there, it's looking good!!

Hey, for 1980's tech, I'm doing well.......... I figure.
    Just think, in 2020 I should have a Garmin 430.

Big day today, finished some electrical items, installed the battery, (surprised it still had 11.7 volts), and tested the lights, strobes and radio's. All seemed to work, just have some adjustments to the electrics.
    VG kit to go back on, finish some tie in's for the engine wiring, install front seats, prop and then do a new weight and balance.

I'm guessing 53.7 Lbs less than before.........

Ooh... Shiny!!

I know that this is a job that you would rather not have had to do! But, that is one sweet plane, Peter!
    Mark Ohlau
    1950 PA-20 N7744K
    KJAQ

Took some time out yesterday and made my way to Midland where Susan Jewitt has her (and Bev's) Pacer. As you know she is trying to sell it. Pulled it out of the hangar, fired it up on the first blade and made my way to my first flyin event for the summer. John Atkins was on his way from YOO with his C-170 and we even managed to meet in the air for the arrival to the gathering. This event was the Edenvale Classic show and I thought it would be fitting to have their Pacer there with FOR SALE signs in the window.

Today, I finished the install of the VG's and the labelling of the C/B panel. The VG's went quick because Jeff was there helping. Looking like a Pacer again ;-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ECAF2013-Colour-Ad.jpg   C:B panel..jpg   VG kit setup #1..jpg   VG Kit setup #2..jpg   VG kit complete #&.jpg  

VG kit complete #&.jpg  

Looking Good!

Peter- how'd you get that label machine to put the border around a group of words? My daughter has one of those machines; I didn't realize it has that capability. Looks very nice! (Maybe yours is a newer version?)

I'm still waiting for the "Special Piper Strut Bolts" for the lower connections to arrive, and then I'll have to go through a complete rigging procedure, I guess, but I have all four new struts mounted, at least. Gettin' there! The Sky Hook I put on seems to be working very well, too. Walt

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    Looking Good!

Peter- how'd you get that label machine to put the border around a group of words? My daughter has one of those machines; I didn't realize it has that capability. Looks very nice! (Maybe yours is a newer version?)

I'm still waiting for the "Special Piper Strut Bolts" for the lower connections to arrive, and then I'll have to go through a complete rigging procedure, I guess, but I have all four new struts mounted, at least. Gettin' there! The Sky Hook I put on seems to be working very well, too. Walt
    I have the Bother label maker, one of the programs is to put a box around the words.

Do you have a copy the rigging CD? It is a must for your rigging.

Today, 9:00 am to 20:30 working on the plane. The UBG instrument would not power up and had to return it to E.I. to be checked. I also sent my RPM and FF to have the tach zeroed and a low Fuel pressure light removed.

Installed the oil breather tube, fixed the headliner, installed the C/B panel and installed the Maxpulse dimmer sw for the nav.map lights--- very nice.

More tomorrow, then off to Austin Tx.

Suppose to meet Rick Durham but he cancelled because of some secret meeting with the new President........... I'm sure he will give us details, Something about being the next VP.....

Keep up the good work, GPXX is looking awesome! I just contacted Joe today about a Maxpulse dimmer today since my airplane had been modified with a separate switch for the navs and a rheostat the size of a baseball!

More tomorrow, then off to Austin Tx.
    Turn or layover? Haven't been downtown in years but had some awesome guac at The Iron Cactus on 4th, they made it right at the table!

SWPC 15480

Yes, Peter-- the Rigging CD was one of the first things on my list, in addition to the Sky Catch (oops...not "Hook"). I'll check daughter's machine to see if it has that capability.

One thing I did that I think will be very handy... on the Rigging CD, the presentation is in a series of slides; rather than have a laptop in the hangar with the CD in it, I just used my iPad to take pics of a number of the pertinent slides. Seems to work quite well-- very portable, and quite clear. Going to have a go at it today. WBB

Suppose to meet Rick Durham but he cancelled because of some secret meeting with the new President........... I'm sure he will give us details, Something about being the next VP.....
    No.........sorry Rick did not venture to Ca. for secret meeting, therefore we did get together for dinner. Great time, good conversation, great to have met a Club member on the road. Thxs Rick for driving down.

Peter

Dang Pedro, I missed that first post. Had a little bit of a heart palpatation when I read it. If the new President calls me and offers me that position, I will let you know. I'm guessing my chances are slim.

It was great to meet you in person finally and you are much nicer than Kurt said you were but every bit as ugly as I had been told. Your big heart must be why your beautiful bride and daughter put up with you. Hope they enjoyed the concert and look forward to your next trip down for Tour de Tejas in the Pacer.

Back to the Bat Cave today, I planned to have the whole day to just take it easy and work on engine items, such as: securing wires, oil line etc. Even got the prop on!!!

Starting to look like a plane now with the prop on. It's position is with the #1 blade at the 11:30 position which is just before Top of the #1 piston. Even Bonnie came out and helped, until she started to complain about the fumes etc. She did pass the prop bolts ;-)

Pictures:

My OCD kicked in and did a polish on the exhaust.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

worked all day again, attached my grounding wire to engine, torqued prop bolts, spinner, bottom and top cowl and of course a few other items. Picking up my E.I. instruments monday from Fedex. RPM gauge tach -zeroed, FF gauge warning low pres. light to off, and the new UBG power supply was changed out. Those go in tuesday. So, maybe one (or 2 or 3) more days. Like to replace the P-Leads - any ideas!!

Looks great! Can't wait to read about first flight!

Bryan

worked all day again, attached my grounding wire to engine, torqued prop bolts, spinner, bottom and top cowl and of course a few other items. Picking up my E.I. instruments monday from Fedex. RPM gauge tach -zeroed, FF gauge warning low pres. light to off, and the new UBG power supply was changed out. Those go in tuesday. So, maybe one (or 2 or 3) more days. Like to replace the P-Leads - any ideas!!
    1-800-GO-FEDEX. you gotta love it! thanks for the support, btw!! That'll put a few more drops of kerosene in my 777...

Monday, did some O/T at work, so no work on the Pacer, but did pickup my E.I. gauges from Fedex. ( I heard that Fedex and UPS are going to merge...... They are going to call it FedUp.... dada, here all week).

Tuesday, installed the 3 gauges, cleaned up the hangar and back home, have to work for the next 3 days, JFK, MSP, YOW. And then off until Sept 17th.
    Planning to finish some details on the weekend and hopefully get it signed off early next week.
    Last edited by PeterL; 08-20-2013 at 10:02 PM. Reason: sp

Back at it again, today finished off the wiring clean up under the panel, worked on some of the flight control cables and..........installed the interior.
    Note: I found that the foam backing on the carpet is following off and leaving some kind of residue all over. Anyone find the same?