WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My Pacer Rebuild

Ya, well, all I need is that Rickcardo D. to pipe in............

oh, just a sec, ......donut time texas style

It's done, test flight is in the history books, PXX flew soo different, (or, I cann't remember how it handled). Lots of extra power, controls very tight. First flight was 1.8 hours. 1 hour at 2,500 rpm and the rest at 2,450 rpm. One snag, no charging, so I will have to track that down. Feels great to have that completed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PJL_2446..jpg   PJL_2449..jpg   PJL_2461..jpg   PJL_2464..jpg   PJL_2470..jpg  

PJL_2473..jpg  
    Last edited by PeterL; 10-16-2013 at 10:11 PM. Reason: 2450 rpm

Your pacer looks great. Of cource Pacers always look great, but it is a great looking Pacer, and I am glade to see
    it back in the air.

Fred
    Pacer N7478K

PROPER JOB, PETER! The Pacer looks fantastic, and I am very glad to hear that it flew well.
    Hoping to join you in the ranks of having an airworthy SWP soon!
    Mark Ohlau
    1950 PA-20 N7744K
    KJAQ

Wooohoooo!!!!!

Ya know Pedro, if you had spent more time working on that airplane instead of beat'n your gums together you would have been in the air 3 months ago. Especially since you only work one day a week. As for the "donut" comment, I'll have you know I only eat donuts so my blood sugar stays normal. Twenty five years of sit'n around eating donuts just doesn't go away over night. You have to "ease" out of it. I did stop eating "sprinkles" on them.

In all seriousness, congratulations on getting that plane in the air! Can you fly it without the HUD?

Just an update on mine, have a deposit and a pre-buy tomorrow on 66D. Fingers crossed. Mixed feelings but time to move on.

Thanks everyone, it was great to get back up in the air. They was so many people that helped either with kind words, advice or being there to lend a helping hand. It was a major undertakening, as any folks that have completed their projects would know. The rebuild was filled with many mixed feelings of excitement to "what the h. I'm I doing", but I guess thats aviation and with huge projects. I learn alot, the research was fun and the time spent working on the mechanics was rewarding. The forums on both the Short Club and Short Wing Piper.ORG is a great source to research what is needed to complete every small task to the larger tasks. The C/D's from the SW Club were very valuable and helped me from the start to completion.

I broke that "90% done and 90% to go" level and I'm now at 98% done and 2% to go, but with one difference, I can fly it as I work on the small jobs!!!

Peter

Congrats! All though I've found that I prefer to 102% flying and -2% tinkering... So your percentages may stay the same for quite sometime. Anyway, I need to finish my tailwheel training, If I come up there can we use your bird ???

Nice work, Peter, good to see it back in the air. Hopefully you'll bring it out to CA next year so we can all do some flying!

Kurt
    Ex-Vice President

63' Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Kurts View Post
    Nice work, Peter, good to see it back in the air. Hopefully you'll bring it out to CA next year so we can all do some flying!

Kurt
    Who knows....Maybe 44K will actually be airworthy again by that time! Annual is now done, cowling refitted on new baffling seals, new glareshield upholstery going on tonight, and starting reassembly of all the stuff removed for annual. Had only one "oh..oh" moment during annual.
    When I was reattaching the spring for the trim indicator cable, it slipped out of the pliers. This caused it to snap way back into the headliner. Fished it out and reattached the spring. During the inspection, my IA noted that the indicator cable had jumped off the pulley, clear back by the jackscrew (giant forehead slap ensued)! For a while, it was looking like it was going to require another venture back into the tail! However, we figured out how to get our hands bent in the correct direction, and release the tension enough to get it back on!
    Other than that, there were no other issues, and after reassembly just need to do a compression test to complete the annual.
    Mark Ohlau
    1950 PA-20 N7744K
    KJAQ

Does it still have the open cockpit mod?
    Ex-Vice President

63' Colt

Does it still have the open cockpit mod?
    Expand on this Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    Expand on this Kurt
    Reference made to the hangar queen who is still missing her windshield...
    Ex-Vice President

63' Colt

Reference made to the hangar queen who is still missing her windshield...
    Mark is working on a new "position" for work.
    N7743D 1957 PA-22/20-150 "Super Pacer" based 1H0

SWPC 15480

I was out flying last sunday, which brings me to a total of 4.0 hours since rebuild.

Met, Ian Pristal and his dad, Al & Sylvia Bowman, Chuck Brown and his wife last week at the Lindsay airport, sure nice to go places again.

For the breakin, I'm running at 75% power, 2450 rpm, which is giving me 127 mph on the airspeed.
    Not bad considering the old 290 wouldn't break the 100mph mark.

need to some fine tuning, but for the most part I'm very happy.

;-)

Peter

I was out flying last sunday, which brings me to a total of 4.0 hours since rebuild.

Met, Ian Pristal and his dad, Al & Sylvia Bowman, Chuck Brown and his wife last week at the Lindsay airport, sure nice to go places again.

For the breakin, I'm running at 75% power, 2450 rpm, which is giving me 127 mph on the airspeed.
    Not bad considering the old 290 wouldn't break the 100mph mark.

need to some fine tuning, but for the most part I'm very happy.

;-)

Peter

Peter, are you sure you didn"t tune up the airspeed indicator also?

Fred
    Pa-20 N7478K

Glad to see the old bird is back in the air! Both of you.

Time to change the little Moose head on the side to a Phoenix. Glad to see it flying again!!

Kurt
    Ex-Vice President

63' Colt

Kurt, he is up in the north woods where the Moose are He might miss riding a moose.

Fred
    Pacer PA-20

Fast forward to many months since my last posting, Nov. 2013 to today.

Logged a total of 44 hours, flew PXX to Sun N Fun in formation with Paul Gagnon flying his Pacer.....even made it to Key West for pie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Why am I not surprised that you flew to Key West for pie. Was it Key Lime pie? I actually figured you had more than 44 hours on it by now.

Default Pacer rebuild

R W when you fly a Pacer the hours don't build up as fast because you fly faster and go farther.

Fred Mayes
    Pacer N7478K

Ahhh. I wondered what the trick was. I figured PL was going to make some Canadian fairy dust claim that would be impossible for me to contradict. That one on the other hand makes perfect sense.

Congratulations, Peter! She looks real purty. When are you going to extend the Piper logo onto the rudder? Thanks for sharing the story of, and your success with, PXX. (Especially for us armchair pilot wannabes!) Walt

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    Congratulations, Peter! She looks real purty. When are you going to extend the Piper logo onto the rudder? Thanks for sharing the story of, and your success with, PXX. (Especially for us armchair pilot wannabes!) Walt
    Thxs Walt, just like everyone else, my main goal was to get the plane back up in the air and along the process to paint/rig the new wings, install the O-320, O/H prop, new c/b panel/breakers, clean up the wiring, window etc etc, I have also created a list of many projects. One is the trim on the tail, I think I'll extend the lines with tape trim.
    So, I guess, I'm at 99% done with 30% to go.

Quote Originally Posted by rwdurham View Post
    Why am I not surprised that you flew to Key West for pie. Was it Key Lime pie? I actually figured you had more than 44 hours on it by now.
    Rick, no, thats it so far, 30 hours to Key West and back, at 117 mph it covers the land very quick.

Next year you should join us.

Well Walt, I finally found the time, (more like made the time) to clean up the tail on PXX. As you can see, clear evidence that the Piper wings are on the tail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TailLtside.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	2495Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TailRtside..jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	2496

I also installed new seatbelts with shoulder harness.
    Previous SW President 2011-2013

Very nice, Peter!
    Mark Ohlau
    1950 PA-20 N7744K
    KJAQ

Yay! Looking good my friend. Looking good!
    Ex-Vice President

63' Colt

Yay! Looking good my friend. Looking good!
    Must be talking about the plane, ;-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	2501

I also installed new seatbelts with shoulder harness, I know the color is way off, but kind of think that a nice contrast. Nice to have the extra safety, just in case

I have a set of inertia reels that can be installed at a later date, maybe with the skylight.

Peter

VERY nice, Peter; congratulations on a great project!

Looks like my plane will get a thorough go-through by a "vetted" A&P/IA early next month. It's been hell waiting for things to come together, but hopefully I can obtain a clean bill of health for 57A and get the $#@$ thing back in the air very soon! (Do I sound excited?)

Walt

VERY nice, Peter; congratulations on a great project!

Looks like my plane will get a thorough go-through by a "vetted" A&P/IA early next month. It's been hell waiting for things to come together, but hopefully I can obtain a clean bill of health for 57A and get the $#@$ thing back in the air very soon! (Do I sound excited?)

Walt
    You do!!!

Well, I must admit a huge detail about "us" men, And that is, unlike our better half's, (my case 3/4's) we can only focus on one task at a time. That's what I did.......worked almost non-stop to get the bird back in the air, if was alot closer Walt, I'd would help you in getting your bird back in the air.
    So, don't sleep, go back to the hangar and "git her done".

PL