WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Mid-America Chapter Meetings

Default Mid-America Chapter Meetings

David Taylor met us at the Mexico, MO airport office. When my son and I arrived after flying from Grain Valley, there wasn’t a single Piper aircraft on the ramp. Lots of Cessnas, though. Since we arrived in a Cessna, we felt right at home. Bill and Jean Maxwell and Fred and Bonnie Mayes had driven their cars and were already there. Bruce Gatton and Travis Hayes had flown a Cessna 172 in from New-Century Airport. It wasn’t long before Conni and John Beck arrived in their Tri-Pacer from Newton, Iowa followed later by Frank Sperandeo in Miss Pearl.

David was the consummate host. He, Fred, and Jean loaded everyone in their cars and transported us to Porky’s Bar-B-Que. The meal was wonderful and quite filling. David surprised us all with picking up the tab for everyone. Thank you, David! It was a noble gesture that we all appreciated.

After an hour of visiting and enjoying our meal, we all returned to the airport conference room to conduct our meeting. The Mexico airport office is a lovely building and the accommodations were quite nice.

The meeting started at 1:20 with eight members and four visitors present. The first order of business was the election of officers. There were quite a few suggestions on how this should be done and who might be nominated for the open positions.

After much discussion, the following positions were filled:

President – Fred Mayes
    Vice-President – Frank Sperandeo
    Treasurer – Bill Lynch
    Secretary/Newsletter Editor – Dan Miller
    Historian – Bill Maxwell

The next order of business was next month’s flyout. The AQ Chicken House at Springdale, AR has some good reviews and was selected as our next meeting place on June 8, 2013. Frank Sperandeo will be our host.

$15.00 Annual Dues are due in July. There is a form at the bottom of this newsletter that can be printed out and returned or you may pay at the next meeting or in July. We have no provisions to accept credit cards, so check or cash is preferred. Each renewal will receive a 4” patch.

Some suggestions for future flyouts were brought up. Fred said there is a nice restaurant in Miller, MO that we need to try out in August. We also are going to try the Ivory Grille in the Hotel Bothwell at Sedalia, MO on September 14.

Other business that was discussed was the National Convention in 2015 as well as current issues of the National SWPC such as the Scholarship Fund, National SWPC Elections, webpage, newsbook publication, and some other matters affecting the club.

At 3:00pm we all adjourned and prepared for departure. The weather had become cloudy and overcast. We had a nice tailwind for the first 10 minutes and then it just died. Our airspeed went from 142mph to 120mph according to the GPS.

June Meeting
    Springdale, AR
    June 8, 2013
    By Bonnie Mayes

Mid-America Chapter met June 8, at Springdale, AR. In attendance were Bill Lynch, Sid Brain, Frank Sperandeo, Eleanor Mills, Fred and Bonnie Mayes. Bill and Sid flew in, the rest drove. We had lunch at AQ Chicken in Springdale.
    Treasurer reported a balance of $748.28 as of last meeting.
    Fred, Eleanor, Bonnie, Bill and Teresa and Frank went to Branson last month to check out possible locations for the 2015 Convention in Branson. They checked out Radisson, Clarion and several others. At that time everyone thought the Radisson was the best choice. However, we did not have time to go to Lodge of the Ozarks. Fred. Bonnie, Eleanor, Sid and Sue Brain checked out Lodge of the Ozarks later and
    decided it was our best bet. We voted at our meeting to place a bid for the 2015 Convention in Branson at the National Convention in New York.
    Eleanor is to get a list of jobs required to put on a convention. We all agreed we will need lots of help from other persons who have put on a convention.
    No chapter meeting in July due to the National Convention.
    Next meeting will be August l0 at Miller Airport at Miller, MO. The airport
    coordinates are" N37 13' 50" W 093 55' 48" Runway 18-36: 2640 x 150 turf Elevation 1163'. The coordinates might come in handy since the field is somewhat hard to see since it is turf and in the middle of nowhere.
    The restaurant there on the field is Hanger Kafe. I looked it up on the
    internet and it shows the hours and had a nice picture.
    It also shows driving directions on MapQuest. It is located on State Highway 39, north of State Highway 96(Old U.S. Highway 66).
    Fred Mayes and Bonnie
    Hangar Kafe – Miller, MO

Mid American Short Wing Piper Club

August Meeting
    August 10, 2013
    Try to be there by 11:00am
    Hangar Kafe
    Miller, MO

The National Convention is now over and several of our members attended. Sid and Sue Brain, Fred and Bonnie Mayes, Eleanor Mills, among others, presented the proposal for the 2015 National Convention to be at Branson, MO. The proposal was accepted by the national club, so we are on the hook for a fantastic convention in two years. We will need lots of help and ideas. We would like this to be a convention the club will talk about for years as one of the best. We have a great venue, airport, and accommodations. All we need is personnel and ideas.

If you have paid your dues for the coming year, your free patch is in the mail. If you haven’t paid, there is still time. I’ve included another renewal page with this newsletter.

If you are not going to renew, would you please do us the favor of telling us why? We understand that there are a number of reasons not to continue, such as “sold the plane”, “lost my medical”, “can’t afford it anymore”, “moved to a new address”, etc, etc. And please be assured that we will not beat you up for not renewing, we just need to know whether to keep sending newsletters or not. You can email me if you are not renewing.

As mentioned in Bonnie’s report of the June Meeting at Springdale, AR, the next meeting will be at Miller, MO at the Hangar Kafe. WORD OF CAUTION: If you look up Miller Airport on the internet you are going to get the wrong place. The one listed on airnav.com or airport-data.com (MO99) is near Climax Springs and is nothing more than a sod strip in the middle of trees. NOT the right place. The CORRECT Miller, MO airport is east of Carthage and just north of Mt. Vernon and west of Springfield. The airport is a crop duster sod runway but has an active skydiving business (Ozark Skydiving Center) on the field. As far as I can tell, the airport is not listed nor has a designation on the sectional. Sooo, keep those GPS coordinates from Bonnie’s report handy. From all I have heard and researched, this is a very nice place to eat and quite popular in the area.

2013 Schedule of Fly-Outs
    January 26 Greenfield, IA
    February 9 St. Joseph, MO
    March 9 Paola, KS
    April 13 Lebanon, MO
    May 4 Abilene, KS
    May 11 Mexico, MO
    June 1 Junction City, KS
    June 8 Springdale, AR
    July 1-5 National Convention Sarasota Springs, NY
    August 10 Miller, MO
    September 14 Sedalia, MO
    October 12 Springfield, MO
    November 9 Gaston, AR
    December 7 TBD

Oshkosh or AirVenture is just a week away. My son and I are pulling a camper up and staying in the campgrounds. Anyone else going? I don’t know why I go every year because it is pretty much the same thing each year. But, there is always more than a person can possibly see, experience, learn, and enjoy or have enough money for. I’m getting the camper all ready to go. Had the tires and axles checked out, charged up the battery and got the propane bottles filled. I’m anxious to see the new Disney movie, “Planes” on Aug. 2 at the FlyIn Theater. That is one of the benefits of camping in the campground - free movies and popcorn every night.

Dan Miller, Newsletter editor

We may try to come over to Sedalia in September. If you could post any details on here, including times, as it gets closer, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

The Mid-America Flyout to Miller, MO has been postponed until August 17. Try to arrive by 11:00am.
    Airport coordinates are:
    N37 13' 50" W 093 55' 48"
    Runway 18-36: 2640 x 150 turf
    Elevation 1163'

The Mid-America Fly-Out for September will be to Sedalia, MO on Sept. 14. Try to be there before 11:00AM. Ground transportation will be available at the Sedalia airport. We will be eating at the Hotel Bothwell in downtown Sedalia.

If the weather cooperates, the Mid-America meeting will be at Marshall, MO on March 8 at 11:00. We will be touring the Nicolas-Beasley Aviation Museum after we eat at Bloomfield's Family Restaurant. See you there!
    Dan

That sounds like an interesting fly-in. I would like to try to make this one if the weather and runway conditions allow for it.

We just can't catch a break with the weather. The weather guessers are saying we are in for a mixed bag in the morning. There could be fog, overcast, rain, sleet, and possibly snow before noon. Therefore, we are cancelling the flyout to Marshall, MO. We will look at the weather for next week and see if we can reschedule for next Saturday. Cabin Fever is at an all time high. Time for some relief.
    Dan

I am glad you decided to postpone it, because between the weather and our grass runway, there's not a chance we could get out of here tomorrow. With the frost coming out of the ground, we'd be sunk in past the landing gear tomorrow.