0-290 or 0-320?????

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Keyboard Burninator
    • Sep 2005

I don't know why the Crosswind STC limits continuous power to 125 (2550). Takeoff is allowed to 150 (2700). My guess everybody just ignores the question. Also it is likely that as installed that is about what you can get out of it in real life and it makes little difference anyway. In my case I would rarely cruise over 2550 at low altitude and at 6-7000' you could not pull over 125 hp anyway.
    I don't know what other STC's allow as far as airframe HP. Many times the FAA will approve larger engines, but derate them to the TC'd horsepower knowing that nobody will really pay any attention, but it gets the FAA off the hook for approval. (assuming that there are any hooks that really apply to them).

Comment

• Ryan h
      New Forumator
      • Mar 2018

I’m surprised that no one really picked up on prop efficiency, and max rpm for a prop, I’ve been told that a prop becomes very ineffective at the tips when they break the speed of sound, so effectively at a certain rpm your prop becomes smaller effectively the higher the rpm past its maximum rpm.. so hp being heavy, it becomes a burden or drag past a specific number, determined by your prop more so than your airframe

Comment

Working...