WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: clipper with EDO 1650s

Default clipper with EDO 1650s

I need the fuselage reinforcement for the sea plane fin..
    I can't find any information and piper isn't coming off the drawings.
    anyone here have info on the reinforcement part number 12480
    please help my airplane sitting in annual waiting for this part.

I'm looking for either a channel or drawing.. I currently do not have the reinforcement kit on my plane even tho its been on floats for 20 years.
    some how this annual can't get signed off with out it.
    any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

thank you very much for your reply.
    I forwarded your message and drawings to my IA
    and will let you know what he says as soon as I can.
    thanks again..
    -N5738H

I don't think this person owns N5738H any longer, but I need the same information concerning Piper part number 12480, that is listed on the PA-22 Blueprint DWG number 14375. No specs or information is given on the part, and I cannot find any in literature I am searching on the internet and parts suppliers. It looks like someone answered here with drawings and information...any chance I could get a repeat? The reply is not showing in the current thread.

Thanks!
    Mark Scharf

Six years ago.... I used drawing 12477 for the early PA 20. That drawing has a scale 2 inches equals one foot. I had a full size drawing printed and extrapolated the dimensions for 12480 using the drawing scaled to the fuselage tube size 5/8". I also figured into my "guess" as to width of reinforcement in relation to the width of the clamp 80032-27.

I do not know about the size on the Clipper but the early Pacers had a tube size of 5/8" .035" 1025 steel at the area of the float reinforcement channel. So with that in mind I also made a "guess" at the material and thickness of the reinforcement channel as 1025 steel .035" thick. Probably as hard or more difficult to find .035" 1025 with C.O.C in sheet form and the 80032-27 clamp, so I tried using .035" thick 4130 and made a lot of scrap as it was near impossible to bend it into that hat stringer shape.

After the post I discovered later PA 20 Serial numbers,.. 20-934 and up as indicated on a "NOTE" on another drawing do not use the reinforcement as they are .049" thick and made of 4130. So I went with the thicker 4130 tubing while repairing my fuselage under the AC substitution of parts, and ditched making a reinforcement channel.

I also have made a drawing from an actual part number for the seaplane vent on the LH side of the PA-16 cowl if you need it.

Todd

Hi Todd-
    I very much thank you for your input--this sounds like a much simpler solution!

Mark