WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Device in Right Wing tip

Default Device in Right Wing tip

I have what I think is either a gyro or MA detector located in the right wingtip. Removing the 4 inspection covers shows a device with some cannon plugs. Inside the cockpit I have a switch marked "Compass". The switch has the power wire removed. The Schematic in the manual does not show this device. What is it and is there documentation available?

Thanks

It is probably part of a slaved compass system, flux maybe??

Peter

Yes, Peter! It is the optional flux capacitor!
    06Z...Peter is correct that it is most likely a "fluxgate" for an electronic compass system.

Like the traditional magnetic compass, the fluxgate compass determines direction by assessing Earth's magnetic fields. However, rather than relying on one small magnet, fluxgate compasses are typically made with coils of wire that employ electricity to amplify the directional signal. Unlike the traditional magnetic compass which relies on a moving needle that is placed atop the magnet, the fluxgate has no moving parts. Rather than pointing towards the North Pole, the fluxgate compass measures electric current, and it is this current that is used as a signal that can be translated and by other electronic devices.

The fluxgate compass has both advantages and disadvantages. The most obvious disadvantage is its need for electricity. Most users keep a traditional magnetic compass on hand as backup for situations that cause a loss of electricity. They are also less stable and have more chance of malfunction due to faulty electronic components. Most navigators consider the advantages, such as the ability to connect to other navigational equipment, worth these risks. One other advantage over a traditional compass is that the fluxgate can be placed in remote locations. This is a major plus because the magnetic influence of other equipment can erroneously alter the reading of either type of compass.
    Mark Ohlau
    1950 PA-20 N7744K
    KJAQ

Quote Originally Posted by pacer44k View Post
    Yes, Peter! It is the optional flux capacitor!
    They are also less stable and have more chance of malfunction due to faulty electronic components. Most navigators consider the advantages, such as the ability to connect to other navigational equipment, worth these risks. One other advantage over a traditional compass is that the fluxgate can be placed in remote locations. This is a major plus because the magnetic influence of other equipment can erroneously alter the reading of either type of compass.
    The "Flux Capacitor" was invented by a scientist named Dr. Emmett "Doc" Brown, "Doc". Flux Capacitor displacement is powered by plutonium, which supplies 1.21 gigawatts of power." Doc explains that the Flux Capacitor helps you travel to a pre-set date and upon reaching 88 miles per hour; as an example, he enters the date November 5, 1955, the date he came up with the concept of the flux capacitor. Before Doc made his first trip, Libyan terrorists, from whom he stole the plutonium, arrive in a van and shoot him. And his friend Marty attempted to escape using the DeLorean and inadvertently activates the time machine. He is transported back to 1955 and finds himself without the plutonium needed for the return trip.

There you go N5206Z, you have a special Short Wing.

Lookout for Libyans.

PL

Wow I better watch out. With this new engine I might actually reach 88 mph now. Future here I come.

Y'all are killin' me here!
    N7743D 1957 PA-22/20-150 "Super Pacer" based 1H0

SWPC 15480

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    Y'all are killin' me here!
    Hello........McFly

Eclipse-Pioneer now Bendix remote compass transmitter. Found almost no documentation on the thing. it uses 28V 400 Hz and has a PS on the firewall. I bought the instrument off ebay for $30 and may hook the thing back up but my panel is full right now.