WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Say it Floats

ceplane Guest

Default Say it Floats

I'm new to the forum, but not new to Tripacers. I have owned this one since my dad and I bought it in 1983. (On Wheels) She looks alot better on floats.
    Dad and I started a sightseeing business in upstate NY back in 1983. This was our first aircraft and I plan on passing it down to my sons. If anyone is interested I have a bunch of pictures during its rebuild and career, let me know.
    Stay Safe
    Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1983.jpg   tn_airplane (17).jpg   N8500Qt.jpg  

Rich:
    Nice photos. I am in the process of putting a 1951 Tripacer on floats and am currently working on new Stewart wingtips and VG's. My plane is metalized, so that complicates the process a little. I would appreciate any infromation or photos that you would be willing to share. I have rebuilt 150 hp 0-320 in place and would be interested in your engine/prop combo.
    N3648M
    1947 PA-12
    Mike Koch
    Sioux Falls, SD

ceplane Guest

Thanks Mike.
    I have an 0-320 150hp on it with the standard prop that has been re-pitched. I'd have to look up what the actual pitch is.
    Rich
    PS: I got a lot of looks on this trip....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails airplane (12) (2).jpg   tn_new york 2004 111.jpg  

Rich:
    Thanks for the reply. Those are interesting photos! Did you get through paying only one toll fee or did the attendent hit you up for two? I am curious, are the tips on your plane "booster tips" and do you have or suggest the use of VG's. I am assuming you have EDO 2000 floats, is this correct? Thanks.
    N3648M
    1947 PA-12
    Mike Koch
    Sioux Falls, SD

ceplane Guest

I was hit twice for tolls, however the attendant did have that deer in the headlight look. Yes I have boosters tips on the airplane. I would not do without on the water. With the float and tip combo I can not get it to break in a stall. She just mushes.
    I never have tried vgs on a pacer but did have them an a renegade once. They did the samething the tips did on the Pacer. It lowered the stall speed and aided in getting of the water. They slowed the airplane down at cruise though.

Rich

Rich:
    Thanks.
    N3648M
    1947 PA-12
    Mike Koch
    Sioux Falls, SD

12944 Guest

I have the VG's on my PA22-20 on wheels and the horton wing tips and they really work well. From all of my flying the tips are not what helps, it is the extra 7 feet of wing area. I like the horton because the droop tips get in the way on the dock and in the hanger. I also like to run the borer prop, it really helps on the take off. Also with the VG's, They make a the aircraft mush not stall. They really work on wheels. But on floats VG's help but you have to pull the A/C off of the water. if you can pop it off the water and get a higher angle of attack they really work. Any VG's on aircraft really do not work while on the water since you would have to drag the heels to get the effective angle of attack. That is what I have been told by my fellow pilots in Alaska. The same goes on 185's, 172's and PA-18's. But those mods with the wing tips and VG's are a must in my book. I also like the 82X41 Borer prop.

Josh:
    Thanks for the information. Do you have fiberglass Horton wing tips from Horton, Inc., of Wellington, KS? I had their Hoerner style wing tips on a previous Cherokee 140 and was very pleased with their appearance and performance. I was not aware that Horton made tips for the PA22-20 series aircraft and would be interested to hear more on this as it might be easier for me to add fiberglass tips than to do the metal work required on my plane for the Stewart tips. I have heard it can be difficult to get approval for a Borer prop. Is this indeed the case? Thanks.

p.s. Did I get information from you earlier on some STC's, and if so, how is that project going?
    Last edited by sdtripacer; 03-12-2006 at 10:53 PM.
    N3648M
    1947 PA-12
    Mike Koch
    Sioux Falls, SD

halestorm Guest

Mike Gavin holds the STC for the borer prop on the 150 PA22/20 and he is very helpful. He bought the rights to the paperwork before Rodger Borer died. Check out his web page,
    HTML Code:
    http://web.acsalaska.net/~mdgavin/borerprop.html
    I agree with what Josh says about the VG's 100%. They don't decrease your takeoff run unless you do something tricky, "pop" it off, roll a float, yank the flaps. I think the safety margine they provide are the real benefit.

I just finished installing a horizontal mounted seafin setup. This mod alone I think has had the most profound affect on making the pacer a good seaplane. It's now a pure joy to fly, very easy to turn. Unlike the Piper designed ventral fin these fins don't interfere with the dock. I'll post some pictures here of the mod.

I can't resist posting a picture I snapped of Seattle and Mount Rainer from the north the other morning. This part of the forum is flying pictures right?

Let's see some pictures of your wings Josh...

-sam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fins-on.jpg   PAdock.jpg   Seattlesunrise.jpg  

Sam:
    Great pictures, again! Do you have any info on your seafin mod, such as manufacturer, paperwork. etc. I've seen pictures of Josh's plane and really like the wing tips he is using. I may even reconsider my use of the Stewart tip.
    Mike
    N3648M
    1947 PA-12
    Mike Koch
    Sioux Falls, SD

halestorm Guest

I do have information on the seafin mod, it's a real STC. Send me an e-mail and I'll let you know what I have.

halestorm@gmail.com

More about borer props; the first flight we made in the pacer the propeller was Sensenich 74x58. Getting on the step took about 15 seconds, then another 25-30 for takeoff. Second flight propeller was brand new Macauly 82x41 (thanks Mike!), 5 seconds on the step, another 15-20 to takeoff, big improvement.

-sam

12944 Guest

Default Photos of Wings

Here are the wings on my PA22-20, I am really pleased and they do not get in the way in the hanger!

I am having problems uploading my pictures and I do not know why. I have never posted pictures here before. I might need a little help.
    Last edited by 12944; 03-23-2006 at 12:07 AM.