WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Hello from CO

Default Hello from CO

Good Morning.

I came across this forum via a Google search for Piper Pacers, and I'm glad I stumbled upon it. There is a wealth of knowledge here.

Anyway, my wife and I are in the market for a 4 seat aircraft that has the capability of xc, but also the versatility of STOL. I was initially looking at Maules, but started looking at the Pacer and believe it would be a better fit.

EIR,
    Welcome to the Short Wing Piper Club.
    Your decision to include a Pacer in your decision to buy a plane has great merit. The Maule is a very capable aircraft, and the newer models with bigger engines will give better performance than the average Pacer. However, when the engine size is similar, the aircraft become much more aligned in performance and utility. In an "apples to apples" comparison, the Pacer would win out purely on it's economics of acquisition and maintenance.
    You did not state what part of CO you reside in, but the mean elevation of the entire state would dictate that you should not have less than 150HP, and it might be even better of you found a 22/20 with 160HP. There are some Pacers that have been converted to 180 HP, and that might be something you should watch for.
    I have a 1950 PA-20, with an O-320. While most of my flying (NorCal, east of Sacramento) is not at the higher elevations, I do go to ID and fly in the mountains. While there, I do operate out of some of the shorter grass, dirt, gravel runways. I have found that my plane gives me all the performance that I require. However, I do not "push it" by attempting operations into some of the more challenging airports. Also, I am always sure that I keep load, WX conditions, and density altitude in my decision making process.
    You stated that you and your wife are pondering acquiring this aircraft. Will the majority of the flying be with just you and your wife (no children, or other pax)? My wife and I find that the Pacer will accept all of our camping gear and the dog, and still have plenty of useful load left for fuel.
    If you want to discuss Pacers in more detail, send a PM with contact details and I will call you.
    Good luck in your search!
    Mark Ohlau
    1950 PA-20 N7744K
    KJAQ

Mark,
    We live in Evergreen, but are currently living in Alabama for the Army. I'm looking at the 22/20 and believe we won't be happy with anything less than the O320. The typical payload will be 2 adults, 1 dog and plenty of camping gear or suitcases.

I'm coming from a partnership with my Dad in a Cherokee, so I know the fundamentals. I'm trying to expand my knowledge regarding the Pacer. It appears to be the perfect aircraft for our needs.

That is our payload when we go to ID. One of the big advantages to the Pacer is that the back seat is out in a jiffy, leaving a very spacious cargo area.
    There are multiple avenues to glean info on the Pacer. PM me when you can, and I will give you the list.
    Mark Ohlau
    1950 PA-20 N7744K
    KJAQ

I would like to welcome you also. The PA-20-150 performs better than a PA22/20-150 and I believe the reason for that is the PA-20 is a little lighter. Like Mark said, however, if you can find a PA22/20-180, it is the perfect aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hedditch View Post
    I would like to welcome you also. The PA-20-150 performs better than a PA22/20-150 and I believe the reason for that is the PA-20 is a little lighter. Like Mark said, however, if you can find a PA22/20-180, it is the perfect aircraft.
    Lighter, and possibly more aerodynamic without the wider cabin due to the doors, and the higher dorsal spine?
    Mark Ohlau
    1950 PA-20 N7744K
    KJAQ