WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: 2015 Branson Convention Comments

Default 2015 Branson Convention Comments

The SW members that were unable to attend are very interested to find out the details on the success of this Convention which was directed by Fred Mayes and his group.

Subjects could include best aircraft awards, tours, shows, how many planes/people etc.anything you like!!!!

At the members meeting the status of the Club should have been presented, financially - where do we stand? What investments do we have? Status of our bank statements.

Is anyone else interested in these facts.

Thxs
    Peter Lubig
    Previous SW President 2011-2013

I would be very interested to know the answers, Peter. The question is, who can or will provide them?
    Ex-Vice President

63' Colt

This was posted on the SWPC FB page by Eleanor Mills in response to my questions

I'll answer some of Mark Ohlau's questions, but you'll have to read the SWPN for the full story. The bylaws amendments passed by a large majority. Art said he got only 5 mailed in ballots -- one of which had both a yes and a no vote and others that were invalid because no name or membership number was given. There was never a vote on the at-large members, not in the board meeting or in the membership meeting. The financial reports showed a positive balance. They should be in the next magazine issue. The club awarded five scholarships, all to promising young students -- 2 renewals and 3 first time recipients. On the toll-free number for the club, it was decided to put contact numbers back in the SWPN for all board and staff members and have another review at the end of the year.
    Mark Ohlau
    1950 PA-20 N7744K
    KJAQ

But...The discussion generated by Eleanor's response was shocking to say the least. I have pasted the FB exchange here for all to read.
    Steve Pierce So were Sid Brain and Fred Mayes let go from the board?
    1 hr Like
    Eleanor Mills Sid resigned. Fred's status is uncertain since no action was taken at the meetings. I think the bylaws need another amendment to spell out some of these things. Personally, I think the board needs Fred.
    1 hr Like 1
    Laura Paperkid Steve Pierce, as a thank you for all their hard work and dedication to the club, and Fred's (and Bonnie's) hard work at the convention in Branson, they were smacked right in the kisser by being kicked off the board. How about that?
    1 hr Like
    Laura Paperkid And Connie had the nerve to sit at our table at the banquet and talk about all the help she would need from me at her convention in Texas, like having a convention site, etc. AS IF. People may not "get" that I put in all of this hard work for this convention FOR MY DAD, not for her.
    1 hr Like
    Steve Pierce Laura, I know how you feel as do many others. You and you Dad did a great job and I want you to know that Cathy and I had a great time. A good board is made up of people of different mind sets. Some people only want people who think like they do. Unfortunately that doesn't promote forward thinking and forward progress.
    1 hr Like 1
    Fred Mayes I think Connie thinks since I am a hillbilly from south Missouri that I am stupid. She did a stupid thing on the 29th of April and tried to remove me from the board because I am against her on many issues. She tried to take over our Convention financially and we wound't let her. The Chapter and Convention Committee runs the Convention, not the President, unless you have a Dictator President like the present one we have. She is trying to do something stupid again and is illegal by the by-laws. We did not have a Membership meeting at the Convention. We had a lecture and grandiose things she is planning for the club including a merger. Sid resigned from the Board, why I don't know, I did not and the Membership has to vote to remove a Board member and what Connie says, by her interpretation she has to bring all the Board members before the Membership every year to be voted on so it appears to me she did neither so she has no at large Board Members because we all know no one was voted on at the Membership. This President was heard saying at the Convention she felt like a Drama Queen and she was loving it. This Club does not need a Drama Queen as its leader Period and we darn sure did not need another rift in this Club.
    31 mins Like 1
    Mark Ohlau Article II.2 of the SWPC Bylaws mandates that At Large members be appointed by the BoD, and approved by the membership at the annual meeting. CI Stevens, SWPC President, has failed to conduct the club's business in accordance with our bylaws.
    31 mins Like
    Mark Ohlau OK...I am sitting here...and almost at a loss for words. So, let me make sure I am interpreting what I am reading correctly. Fred Mayes' status as an "At Large" member of the SWPC BoD is "uncertain"? By Laura Paperkid's account it sounds like CI Stevens has made up her mind! As I have already established, the Bylaws require action on the At Large Members at each annual meeting. Eleanor Mills stated that there was no action taken at either BoD or member's meeting re: At Large Members. So what process was utilized by CI Stevens and the BoD to remove Fred Mayes? Laura Paperkid...It is not surprising that CI Stevens would dine with you, engage you in conversation about her needs, all the while sliding her dagger ever closer to your Dad. Lastly, I would postulate that others within our club knew this was coming. It saddens me that there could be others possessing such a moral abyss that they would not have at least reminded Fred that action was required at the BoD Meeting. Just one small inocuous statement would made it very difficult for CI Stevens to suddenly (without cause or authority) to release Fred Mayes. Laura Paperkid...There are others who "sat at your table" who were in on this, I guarantee you!
    Mark Ohlau
    1950 PA-20 N7744K
    KJAQ

I've posted a separate suggestion that the club consider a live stream with conference call bridge lines for the membership meeting. With the current way the convention is scheduled (during the week), I just don't have the vacation to attend. I suspect that others are in the same boat as me especially when the convention is a significant distance away. However, all voices should be heard. As such, a virtual meeting in addition to the on-site one makes a lot of sense. It's easy and cheap. If the leadership opts to not do this, I would take this as they aren't interested in hearing the entire membership's voice.
    -------------------------------------------
    Dave Sterling
    1957 PA-22-150/160
    N6929D
    My Photos

Dave, I saw your post and responded on the FB Page. For those that are not on FB, here is my response;

Dave Sterling...I think that this would be a great idea. It was on the radar screen when I was on the BoD under Peter Lubig. One of our major concerns wa show to get the members more involved. Online streaming of the Member's Meeting would be a great tool. The first goal was to establish online voting, so that the members could vote on important issues. Having less than 10% of the membership driving the direction of the club is unaceptable. It was hoped that being able to vote online would make our members more prone to excerise their voice. Being able to see and hear from the Board, candidates, and the members prior to a vote closing would be an invaluable tool.

I noted this morning that SWPC President Connie Stevens is a member of the SWPC FB page.This was news to me, as I have not read any communications from her. But, she is obviously aware of your suggestion, so hopefully she will reply.
    Mark Ohlau
    1950 PA-20 N7744K
    KJAQ

Now, let me get this straight. If I read the bylaws correctly(which I copied below), each year we, as a club, need to vote to re-appoint the Members-At-Large. If we didn't vote, then the current Members-At-Large are no longer appointed. The Members-At-Large are selected by the President. Does this mean if the President doesn't want the Member-At-Large any longer, the President has the right to dismiss the M-A-L?
    If we have no Members-At-Large, do we still have a Board of Directors? Larry Jenkins says he is retiring as SWPCEducation Foundation Director and as far as I know, no one has volunteered to take his place. Without a SWPCFD, do we still have a Board of Directors?

2. Board of Directors – The Board of Directors (the Board) of the
    SWPC shall be composed of the President, Vice-President, Secretary,
    and Treasurer and, two (2) to four (4) At-Large Members, and the
    Executive Director of the SWP Education Foundation as an ex-officio,
    voting member. Only Members in Good Standing (defined in Article V.1)
    are eligible to serve as an At-Large Member of the Board. At-Large
    Members are selected by the President and approved by the Officers
    with ratification of the membership at each annual meeting, and will
    have full voting privileges on matters before the Board. At-Large
    Members currently serving on the Board may be re-appointed subject to
    ratification by the membership at each annual meeting The management
    of the SWPC, its property and affairs shall be vested in its Board.
    Should a member of the Board vacate his/her office prior to the completion
    of his/her term, the remaining Officers will appoint a replacement.
    The new appointee shall serve the remainder of the former member’s
    term.

Quote Originally Posted by 181 View Post
    Now, let me get this straight. If I read the bylaws correctly(which I copied below), each year we, as a club, need to vote to re-appoint the Members-At-Large. If we didn't vote, then the current Members-At-Large are no longer appointed. The Members-At-Large are selected by the President. Does this mean if the President doesn't want the Member-At-Large any longer, the President has the right to dismiss the M-A-L?
    If we have no Members-At-Large, do we still have a Board of Directors? Larry Jenkins says he is retiring as SWPCEducation Foundation Director and as far as I know, no one has volunteered to take his place. Without a SWPCFD, do we still have a Board of Directors?
    The members must vote every year to approve the At Large Members of the BoD. I have copied the pertinent sections of the bylaws here;
    Members are selected by the President and approved by the Officers with ratification of the membership at each annual meeting, and will have full voting privileges on matters before the Board. At-Large Members currently serving on the Board may be re-appointed subject to ratification by the membership at each annual meeting

As the Board had selected no new members, the first sentence is not germane. However, with regard to the "current" At Large Members, all of them should have been brought to the membership for approval at the annual meeting. This was a blatant omission, either accidental or intentional, by the President.
    Now, the bylaws state that the At Large Members are appointed by the President. So, does the President have the latitude to appoint members without any consultation with the remaining members of the Executive Board? It would be my contention that such ability would be detrimental to the club, and that it does not comply with the intent of the bylaws. Furthermore, I would stipulate that the President (and the BoD) has the latitude to reduce the number of At Large Members as they see fit. However, this action should be made public to the members in the News, and most certainly is said action corresponds with the annual meeting.
    Mark Ohlau
    1950 PA-20 N7744K
    KJAQ

Here's another statement regarding the supposed discussions of the board during the convention. I wasn't there, but perhaps someone who was can verify. It pertains to this forum and a question that was asked regarding the "server too busy" message and when they are going to do something about it.

"The Board discussed the Forum most recently in Branson. They were interested in researching contract possibilities given the SWPC's political past usage.

Perhaps you, Kurt and I could discuss other options.

~Connie"
    Ex-Vice President

63' Colt

Default By-laws

Mark, you are right on the by-laws. Connie did not come close to following the by-laws of this club. I can understand why she does not want me on the Board, because of the many things we do not agree on. It all started after the 2014 Convention and involved the finances of our Club and the 2015 Convention. She wanted to take control and I had to hold tight so I got the blame. She also wanted to reschedule our seminars just a week before the Convention. I could not allow that.
    As far as me being on the Board, as Tim Conway said " It doesn't matter" but the way she removed me does matter. The membership should not allow such behavior from any officer of the SWPC.
    I may have to type out all that has gone on at the board meeting since Sept.2014 that involved the finances and why she is mad at me. When a chapter puts on a Convention it involves a lot of money and we had to keep very close track of every penny. We could not let Connie do some things she wanted us to do, because we would have lost control of the finances of our Convention.
    She is saying now to Dan Nickelson he can't furnish seed money to start the 2016 Convention because the Board voted to not allow that. I have attended all of the Board Meetings for the last four years and that is not true, we did not vote on that. It is another lie.

Fred Mayes
    Pacer N7478K

Fred,
    It is unfortunate that you would have to spend your time to inform the membership about BoD activities over the past 18 months. However, since you are the only BoD member that communicates with the members, we would sure appreciate it.
    With regard to convention seed money, am I reading this correctly that Dan has been told by Connie that he can't furnish his own funds to get things off the ground. If she is telling him that this was a BoD decision, but that is untrue, he needs to know. Additionally, the membership needs to know that our 2016 convention committee is receiving untrue information.
    Mark Ohlau
    1950 PA-20 N7744K
    KJAQ

It is starting to appear as if most of the statements made pertaining to issues the board supposedly discussed, have been lies.
    Ex-Vice President

63' Colt