WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Starting a new PA-22 project

Default Starting a new PA-22 project

Hi guys,
    After a whirlwind two and a half day trip from TX to WI and back I have my first airplane sitting in the garage awaiting a rebuild. She is a PA-22-135 with a little over 300 since major. The air-frame has quite a bit of hail damage to the top of the fuselage (beat a bunch of dope off the fabric, boot cowl, top cowl, and wing leading edges. The previous owner stripped the wings and leading edges and already recovered all the tail and control surfaces. The fuselage was last covered in '75, so I'm probably going to be stripping the fabric pretty soon. Any of you guys have any advice on where to start? I was thinking about getting the engine running and then pickled before I tear into the air-frame.

A little background on me. I'm a 5000 hr helicopter pilot with an A&P and soon to have my IA. Looking forward to doing an add-on soon. Glad to be a part of the forum. I've read lots of great info so far.
    Michal

Michal,
    You are in for a lot of work! The sheet metal around the doors, even though it may look good, take it off and check for rust. Mine looked perfect but for kicks, we cut one piece off and discovered rust. We took the rest off and I was glad we did. Get the Eddie Trimmer fuel mod. While you're at it, take a look at his doors for right and left side.

Took two of us 2 1/2 years working 40 hr a week to rebuild my bird. Would I do it again? Not in this lifetime.
    Dave

Michal,
    One more thing, the "Tips and Techniques" books the club sells, get them. If you replace the jack screw, look at the last volume because it corrects the directions in a previous volume.
    Dave

Michal,
    I just sent you a private message regarding the pa 22.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by David Hedditch View Post
    Michal,
    .....Snipped.... If you replace the jack screw, look at the last volume because it corrects the directions in a previous volume.
    Dave
    And.... if you were to replace the jackscrew and yoke, get the STC'ed version from Dakota Cubs! I put one in my Pacer a few years ago, and it is so much better!
    Mark Ohlau
    1950 PA-20 N7744K
    KJAQ

Quote Originally Posted by David Hedditch View Post
    Michal,
    One more thing, the "Tips and Techniques" books the club sells, get them. If you replace the jack screw, look at the last volume because it corrects the directions in a previous volume.
    Dave
    Lots of misinformation in those "Tips and Tricks" books from what I have seen.

Steve,
    If you could point out those areas of misinformation that you have found, it would sure be of help while using those books or CDs. I found during my rebuild the books and cd's were very helpful except for the jack screw which was corrected. The diagrams cd also. The cd on paint schemes was useful. We have a lot of beautiful birds out there and a lot of expertise which was recorded in the "tips and Techniques". Yes, maybe not perfect, but again, I found to be very useful. A lot of volunteer labor went into putting all that together. A big "thank you" for those who put in the work.
    Dave Hedditch

The article about how the Piper engineers installing the tank bay rod in the wrong direction is the one that I remember the most. There were several more but it was years ago that I read through them. That is what I like about the forums, you can ask a question and get responses from several people and come to a consensus and have pictures included. Then if something new comes up years from now you can revive it and add that new information. I push both drawing CDs to anyone working on a Short Wing Piper especially if they are doing a rebuild. I don't know how we did it before these were available, it did take a lot more head scratching and time.

I agree. The forums are very useful but if one needs help now out working on the bird, having the books & CD available immediately available along with the opportunity to contact a tech advisor.

I would also like to hear from everyone on the use of he 1-800 number. Has any one used it? Comments good & bad appreciated.

Dave, at the Branson Convention the Board voted six to one to stop the 1-800 # at the end of 2015 as we were paid up to the end of 2015. Connie also assigned me to pole the Tech Advisors on their opinion 0f the 1-800#. All of the Tech Advisors I talked to did not want the 800# and when I told them the cost they were very much against it. It cost about $700 a year.
    I have used the 800#. I do have two calls that are more than six months old and have not been answered.
    If you have a central office the 800# works fine. We are scattered all over the world . It does not work for this SWPC. We also have Cell Phones which are instant communications to most of our Tech Advisers, so why do we need to pay for outside work and deteriorate our service to the SWPC.
    The vote at the Branson Convention should have ended the 800#problem at the end of the year unless the Vote of the SWPC Board does not count.

Fred Mayes

I took the liberty of moving the discussion of the toll free phone system to another thread, so as not to hijack the OP's message about his project.
    http://forum.shortwingpiperclub.org/...0144#post30144
    As Dave Hedditch requested, the members views on the toll free phone system need to be heard, And, the discussion certainly deserves it's own thread.
    Mark Ohlau
    1950 PA-20 N7744K
    KJAQ