WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Oil Temp Running High

Post Oil Temp Running High

Bought a 1952 PA-22 with 125HP, had flown 10 hours in 10 years. A&P/IA finding all sorts of fun things (Mason jar gaskets under fuel caps, for instance). Flies well but oil temp climbs. Had to fly to Colorado Springs at night from Enid to avoid red-lining the oil temp. Will remove the oil cooler and flush it out. Maybe 10 years idle has gooped it up. Can replace from Univair. Anyone have experience with one of the alternative coolers?
    Dave

Dave, I replaced oil cooler with a new Niagara Parts oil cooler. Reduced oil temp. 20 degrees.

Fred Mayes
    Pacer N7478K

Thanks, Fred. I'll check out that Niagara cooler. I've heard that they typically ran warm anyway (but not red-lined).

Fred,
    Did you just replace the cooler on top of the engine, or did you use a larger one behind the #4 cylinder?

Tom Anderson

32 years ago Dad replaced the O290-D engine with the O-290-D2.They changed the little oil cooler behind the #4
    cylinder and installed the larger cooler in the nose bowl. This was one of the brass coolers which came out on the O-290-D2 powered Pacers and Tri-Pacers. I just replaced the Brass cooler with the Niagara oil cooler.

Fred Mayes