WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: 1950 PA20 Sitting Since 2005

Default 1950 PA20 Sitting Since 2005

Hello all, I'm in the market for a Pacer and I've found a 1950 Pacer with an o290D2 for sale. The lady who is selling it has had it for a while in storage, it was her husbands' who passed away 10 years ago and she doesn't have much knowledge about it or in aviation in general.

Some of the stuff I know about it: metalized wings and fuselage (not a concern for me) which were repainted in '02; overhauled gyros in '04; repacked wheel bearings around that time as well as other various maintenance work done around that time. The last annual was in'04. Complete logs as well.

The big issue though is the engine...it was overhauled in '04 and the logs show that it flew for a whole 2 hours after though the wife said that he flew it through October of '05 when he bought another plane and put this one in inside storage where it's been ever since with the wings taken off. So I'm looking for some advice on if this Pacer is worth pursuing, the husband was an A&P and did much of his own work so maybe he stored it well and "pickled" it.

If I pursue this further what type of engine inspection should I have done? Obviously I need to look for corrosion on the internal parts, what process should be done to start an engine that has sat so long? It's crazy to think that all this work was done on it just to waste away for years afterward! Anyways, any and all advise would be much appreciated! Thanks

Bruffy, good morning. If the storage was near the coast it makes a difference what problems you may have with the corrosion in the engine, and also the storage unit itself if it was dry. I would hire a IA and do basically an Annual inspection on the airplane. You could pull a cylinder and inspect for rust on the cam shaft and any where else. The price of the airplane also has to be considered, and if it is full of mice. It could be a very good airplane, so I would check it out.

Fred Mayes
    1950 Pacer N7478K

Quote Originally Posted by Bruffy View Post
    ....snipped...
    The big issue though is the engine...it was overhauled in '04 and the logs show that it flew for a whole 2 hours after though the wife said that he flew it through October of '05 when he bought another plane and put this one in inside storage where it's been ever since with the wings taken off. So I'm looking for some advice on if this Pacer is worth pursuing, the husband was an A&P and did much of his own work so maybe he stored it well and "pickled" it.

If I pursue this further what type of engine inspection should I have done? Obviously I need to look for corrosion on the internal parts, what process should be done to start an engine that has sat so long? It's crazy to think that all this work was done on it just to waste away for years afterward! Anyways, any and all advise would be much appreciated! Thanks
    In addition to what Fred stated above, I would consider the following. Where was the plane stored, and more importantly to this topic...where and how was the engine stored? You say that the engine is "pickled"..But what process was used. If you determine that it appears to be in good shape, preoil it before you make the first start attempt. You can buy or build a pressure pre-oiler quite cheap. Simply cranking the engine until you get pressure is one way, but IMHO, not the best.
    Mark Ohlau
    1950 PA-20 N7744K
    KJAQ