WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Colt Engine Mount Dimensions

Default Colt Engine Mount Dimensions

Hi Guys,

I am building a Wagabond project. I have a Colt fuselage and an O-235 L2C to power it. I am short of the dimension from the Colt firewall to the O-235 mounting holes. I measured the engine I have, I will need nearly 12 inches so as to be able to remove the oil filter. Is this about right or anybody have the correct measurements. Maybe I need to fit a remote filter.

Many thanks

Peter
    Wonthaggi Australia
    http://www.cpc-world.com

The engine mount drawings shows a dimension of 9 15/16 along the thrust line between the fire wall and the back of the pads where the engine cushions are located. Depending on the type of oil filter adapter you install this could be enough. If you install an AC Delco adapter that puts the oil filter straight out the back of the engine, you will need to dish out the firewall. In my case, a 4" pie pan riveted and sealed to an appropriate sized hole in the firewall worked fine.

Tom Anderson

Tom, Thanks for the response. Coincidentally we had a Colt arrive at the airfield yesterday and I managed to measure the engine mount. My quick measurement was 10 inches so matches your response perfectly. I have a copy of the Plans CD's but only ever found a Vagabond engine mount plan. The filter is already attached to the rear of the engine so I may have to insert the Pie Pan as you have.
    Many thanks for you help
    Peter
    http://www.cpc-world.com