WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: buying another pa22 project

Default buying another pa22 project

Well, I will be buying a 53 pa22. I been shopping for new cylinders for the o290d2 and find them like hens teath. I do have 2 newly chromed ones but that is all I got and need pistons, rings, valves, springs etc.
    I got my mind made up to use the stewarts recover system.
    Any builders out there around Spokane Wa. Be nice to see what they are doing..
    It comes with a sensenich m76ak-2, 52 in pitch cruise prop that I dont think will work as is and repitched if it can conform a tcds

If you re having that hard of a time finding O-290 parts why not look for a O-320-A2A? Parts are still plentiful, you pick up 15-25 extra horses, and you can use auto fuel.

The 53 has a 12 rib wing, not able to use the 0320. Plus the 290-d2 is less weight and is 145 hp for take off.
    I had to pass on the entire venture due to the over all cost and time to do a complete rebuild. The last time I did it, it took 2 years and I wound up with more into it than I sold it for. I had an stc for auto fuel for the 0290d2, same as the 0320.
    I am 77 years old and I guess reality finally settled in, so I passed.
    Thanks,
    T
    The project is still for sale on Spokane Craigs List if interested.

Tom, i am just thinking about embarking on such a rebuild, and very intrested in the particularls that you have come accross
    i would like to hear about the details (53 12 rib etc.) if you could find some time to email me (i think thats ok on this forum, i hope), dpair@juno.com i am in SO Cal, put in subject line tri pacer project.
    DP

T
    You don't have to worry about the wings to convert to an O320. Most STCs don't require any change to the wings nor do they change the Vne and other speeds. My '54 has a 150hp A1A and the original wings. Also, most engine change STCs do not give gross weight increases. Your best approach is to do an engine change.

Tom Anderson