WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Bungee Installation Cost

Default Bungee Installation Cost

Just had new bungees installed on my 1960 PA 22 Colt. Plane in excellent condition.
    Maintenance shop charged me 18.2 hours of labor $1789.?? I had provided the bungees. Had thought 6-8 hours was sufficient Interest in comments.

I think it's time you find a shop that knows something about short wings. It takes me about 4 hours to replace all 4 bungees. Of course it helps to have the right equipment.

To m

I have a Clipper and I did it "myself" with the help of my A&P friend and the loan of the tool from the club. I know it took less than half a day for the entire process. Yes, I am fortunate to have mechanic friends but when it is something more that needs different expertise, I ALWAYS am a part of the "crew".
    Melissa

To All. After a discussion with the Manager they stated that the 18.4 charge was generated by the computer system They adjusted the hours from 18.4 to 7.2 and from $1748. to $740. This to my mind is fair and accurate for a maintenance shop. I had no questions about the quality of the work on the bungees, other work and the excellent painting of all three wheel pants.

Dick K

I just had my bungees replaced by a mobile A&P because one broke on landing. He charged a total of 6 hours and 4 of those were driving two and from my location.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco1960 View Post
    To All. After a discussion with the Manager they stated that the 18.4 charge was generated by the computer system They adjusted the hours from 18.4 to 7.2 and from $1748. to $740. This to my mind is fair and accurate for a maintenance shop. I had no questions about the quality of the work on the bungees, other work and the excellent painting of all three wheel pants.

Dick K
    In the future you may want to go to Massey MD, and look up Nick. He has a Tripacer and knows short wing Pipers and is an all around good guy. The other thing mentioned here is you can check the tools out from the Club library to make sure you have the right tools for the job at hand.

Steve Carruthers

As a A&P with the right tool, it takes me around 2-3 hours to do. I have done a few, so knowing what to do helps a lot. Since I only charge $75 per hour so that comes out to around $225.00 to do the job, although I did charge $300 for the last one, since someone did it wrong, and I had to do it right. My buddy here who I work with who is also a IA and charges $100 an hour and has done this numerous times said the same thing $300 to $400 to change them out. For a repair facility, that has never done it, and may or may not have the proper tools, then I could see them charging that price. The problem with taking it to a repair facility, and with an older aircraft they really don't have the knowledge or the right equipment to do the job in a timely matter.