X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlindstrom
    New Forumator
    • Jun 2019

New member. 2nd short wing Piper

My first job as a brand new A&P back in 1973 was to re-cover a 1957 PA-22-150. My Dad and I then purchased it and flew it for 10 years.
    I worked for that FBO as an A&P, flight instructor and charter pilot till 1994, when I bought him out. I then obtained my IA and ran that operation and managed the KEZI airport till May 2018. I'm still here as the "Assistant Manager", a nice title for the guy that mows the grass in the summer and pushes snow in the winter.
    About 20 years ago I restored a J3 for a customer. When it was done, he sold it to me. I sold the Cub about a year ago, but got to keep flying it while it was based here. The new owners took it away about a month ago.
    Soooo..... With nothing to fly, I purchased a local PA-15/17. I've been having a blast flying it!
  • dlindstrom
    New Forumator
    • Jun 2019

When I went to get insurance, I was told that I had to get 2 hours of dual from a "qualified" instructor.
    I told them that I was the "qualified" instructor that checked out one of the previous owners. They waived the requirement.

Comment

• Wag-builder
      SWPC President
      • Dec 2014

Wow, what a great story. Where did you get your insurance and did they give you a good rate? Tell us more about your Vag-a-bond and what engine you have and things you would change to make it better. I think I want the job you have now.

Steve

Comment

• dlindstrom
        New Forumator
        • Jun 2019

Sorry that I didn't get back sooner. I purchased the insurance through Facer Ins., Rantoul, IL.
        The Vag is a -15 converted to a -17 with an A65. I would love to have a C85 in it. I keep talking myself out of re-covering it to get rid of some weight. Oratex, maybe? Someone painted it with enamel over a completed, doped finish.

Comment

• WagMan
          New Forumator
          • Jul 2022

So I am looking for insurance for my Wagabond, which I just acquired as a partially built project. Who does experimental aircraft insurance? I tried AOPA, but they are asking $2600+ for coverage, twice what I was quoted for a Kitfox! Still waiting on EAA; I guess they are all at OSH.

Comment

• Wag-builder
            SWPC President
            • Dec 2014

My homebuilt is insured through AVEMCO, much better rates than through the EAA and Falcon. You can also try AIR Aviation Insurance Resource in Maryland (301) 682-6200 Ask for John and tell them Steve sent you.

Comment

Working...