WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: 1958 PA-22-150 Temp range

Default 1958 PA-22-150 Temp range

Just bought a 1958 PA22-150 and flew it from MSP to RYN. Pretty much from north to south.

What is temp and oil PSI normal range. I am getting 220 - 240 just below red line, in the green, but too close for my blood, probably 65 PSI. It is running 20-50 in it now and was thinking on the straight 50. would that make any difference.

EH

Those temps seem somewhat high to me. I assume you have the original "chin" mounted oil cooler? Those are not known to be particularly efficient, but still 200 - 210 seems to be typical temps when flying in 90 - 100 degree air.

I guess the first thing would be to look for anything blocking airflow through the oil cooler (obvious, I know!)

Also, look closely at the baffle seals, maybe you are getting to much air leakage between the baffles and cowling. This would cause the cylinders to run to hot, raising the oil temps. Does your plane have CHT's? This is probably the most important thing to check, as cylinder overheating can lead to serious problems ($$$$)

A long shot would be that the gauge is inaccurate (they usually indicate low, when inaccurate) You can take the bulb loose from the engine and immerse in boiling water - should read 210 deg.

Oil pressure seems good.

Changing from 20W50 to 50 shouldn't make any difference, they both meet the same viscosity specs at operating temps. Also thicker (or thinner) oil may (or may not) change the oil pressure (slightly), but I don't see how it would measurably affect the oil temperature.

Good Luck!!

Paul