WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Colt Crosswinds

reccitron Guest

Default Colt Crosswinds

I passed my Private ASEL check ride a few weeks ago. Almost all of my instruction has been in a Colt. One of the areas I would like to improve is my crosswind landings. The Colt POH that I have doesnÃ*t have a demonstrated crosswind listed.

How strong of a crosswind should a low hour pilot expect to be able to handle? What is the maximum that a very experienced pilot would be able to handle?

Bob-

There is no magic number. The pilot is the determining factor. Keep practicing, and you will be able to decide what your own comfort level is.

I live in Northern MT, where the wind blows most of the time. I have landed my Colt in crosswinds that would fall into the "don't try this at home" category. I took my private checkride, 30 or so years ago, from an old school examiner. The wind was 20-25 kts, 45 degrees across the runway. He said "if you can't fly in the wind, you can't fly in this part of the country". Today, most examiners won't administer private checkrides on windy days.

I have found that a direct crosswind of about 15 kts requires full control deflection, and that's a good sign you're at the limit. I'm not a CFI, and I'm not going to post anything which could be construed as flight instruction via the internet. Only you, with the help of your instructor, can find a safe limit.

Mark

Wayne Guest

I have a PA22/20 and live in the Antelope Valley. Here, most afternoons, in the spring and early summer, the wind will reach 25 to 35 knots. The rest of the year the winds sometimes reach 35 knots as well but not every day. Cross winds of 60 degrees and 20 plus knots are doable even in the taildragger. It does take practice, working one's way up in cross wind component slowly. Turning to and down wind taxiing is very tricky. In your Colt be very carful to have the controls in the right place when the wind is behind you less you wind up on your nose with a bent prop.
    Your ability to handle cross winds has a lot more to do with exposure to cross winds then hours of flight time. Most places in this country don't get strong cross winds very often therefor most people don't get a chance to hone this skill. Oh and remember, the POH only has demonstrated cross wind not max cross wind. That number is up to you.
    If you do run into strong winds especially with more then 10 knots of gust factor go some place where they are fairly streight down the runway.

If you have a cross wind look for trees or a slope or ridge parallel to the runway. This is sure to make the wind roll and cause sharp edies.

Wayne Guest

Good point Gilbert, when the wind is out of the southwest the hanger row causes a lot of turbulance unless we land long, past the hangers.

Wayne Guest

Don't ask how high the winds can get and how bad the visability can get in bowing dust. Check weather before leaving. You may not have to display superior skills (mostly luck) to those who can't see you from 50 feet away.

joewcasey Guest

I've had my PA22-135 for about 6 mos now, and am very pleased with how it handles crosswinds. The worst part is overcoming those darned control interconnects. In my opinion, it's not the crosswinds that are the major problem, but maneuvering on the ground after you're controls have lost effectiveness. A direct crosswind of 25 knots is more than enough to feel that wind trying to lift the upwind wing, and taxiing with the airplane at a noticeable bank while on the ground is not the most comfortable feeling. Like the others have said, it's up to you, but I've found that the airplane will handle most conditions.

Oh, and just a comment about the examiners not administering checkrides in high winds...Laramie, WY, March 1999, Private Pilot checkride, Cessna 172 Chickenhawk, winds splitting the runways 250@40 kts. My student passed his ride, got wing walked in and never flew again.

Joe-

The Colt doesn't have the control interconnect. You can remove it from your Tri-Pacer; a lot of folks have.

The guy who replaced the examiner I referred to wouldn't give checkrides in the wind. In places where the wind doesn't blow often, that probably makes some sense. On the great plains, where two calm days in a row occur about once every total eclipse of the sun, a student's ability to deal with the wind needs to be examined as closely as the other areas of basic airmanship, I believe.

In the early 80's, I departed Lewistown, MT, ahead of a line of thunderstorms. When we were about 20 miles out, a student returning from her first solo x-country called in. Wind was reported at 56 knots. Her instructor called her and had her line up into the wind and land on the grass between the runways, and she was wing walked in. No word on if she continued her flight training.

Mark

reccitron Guest

Thanks for all the info