WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Like father, like son....or at least I'd like to think that

Default Like father, like son....or at least I'd like to think that

Well, I was finally able to log in, so I decided to post some pictures I am rather proud of. One is an "oldie", circa 1975 mixed with a very recent one. My Ol' Man and his beloved '55 Pa22-150, and myself with mine, and just one of "Libby" , our newest family member. Funny how history can repeat itself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shinysmall.JPG   medadbsmall.JPG  

41 years ago when I was 12 my father took me for a ride in a rented 22 at Scranton Municipal in PA. Now I have one and take him for rides. 28 years ago when I was taking flying lessons a beautiful young lady came by the airport and my instructor introduced us. We've been married for 26 Yrs. Actually i met my father in law first when he stopped by in his 20, which he still has. Piper sort of runs in some families. Nice picture.
    Aviationaholic

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohnnie View Post
    Well, I was finally able to log in, so I decided to post some pictures I am rather proud of. One is an "oldie", circa 1975 mixed with a very recent one. My Ol' Man and his beloved '55 Pa22-150, and myself with mine, and just one of "Libby" , our newest family member. Funny how history can repeat itself.
    This is a great story. I thought I would reply to this one, hopefully someone out there has a great story to tell!!

Fred Mayes has one.....

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    This is a great story. I thought I would reply to this one, hopefully someone out there has a great story to tell!!
    Fred Mayes has one.....
    Peter
    You are correct that the history of Fred and his PA-20 is a great story. Hopefully, he will have a few moments to share it with the members. In the mean time, I could fill in by sharing my history with 44K.

I started hanging out at my local airport when I was about 12 years of age. I was very fortunate that the people there were very supportive of my interest in airplanes, and flying. One of of the routine customers for fuel was a gentleman named George Borchin, who had owned this red & grey, stubby winged fabric plane since 1951. He kept this plane on a 450' (+/-) dirt strip about 6 miles from where I lived. George was a really interesting man, and he was a favorite to all the local kids, as he would ride his horse through town with saddle bags stuffed with candy! After fueling, I always spent extra time making sure that the windows were properly cleaned, and anything else George wanted was attended to. However, it never did result in being offered a ride!
    Jump ahead to age 18, when I had entered the A&P program at Sacramento City College. One of my first instructors was Walter Kuhn (longtime SWPC member), and for whatever reason Walt decided that I was a pretty good kid, and befriended me outside of classroom activities. In my opinion, Walt, and his wife Kathryn, had the perfect life. They lived in the country on 15 acres, and had a runway and hangar right in front of his house. On my first trip to visit, when Walt opened the hangar door my eyes gazed upon the very same grey & red Pacer! Wait! That is George Borchin's plane! Turns out that Walt had only recently purchased it from George.
    After a few years of ownership, 44K's cotton fabric could finally not be found airworthy any longer, and 44K was disassembled and suspended from the rafters to await restoration, as Walt already had a Vagabond (PA-15) flying, and a Taylorcraft BC-12D in progress. After a few years, it was 44K's turn in the shop, and the restoration ensued. Many longtime SWPC members are familiar with the results of Walt's labor after seeing the plane at Conventions dating back to 1992. Again, for whatever reason, I never really paid much attention to 44K, as I guess I was focused on speed, and "coolness" in defining my favorite aircraft. Now, lets leap forward to 2001!
    I have finally realized my dream of owning my own plane, and one that I had always loved. A 1972 Bellanca 17-31A Super Viking. I had it all.....Speed, retractable gear, and a big fire breathing 300 hp engine! Unfortunately, I also had big fuel bills, a steady stream of MX expenses, and no time to fly as I was always working on the darn thing! One day, Walt called to see if I was going to a popular fly-in here in NorCal. "Nope...Viking is not up to it" I inform him. Then, one of those moments that infrequently happens, but is life changing occurs. Walt offers to check me out in 44K, and let me take it to the fly-in! That weekend redirected my thinking about what my needs in an aircraft truly were. The performance of the plane, balancing speed, with load carrying capability, and economy, was truly an awakening. I flew 44K at every possible opportunity, which thanks to Walt were many occasions. By the end of 2002, Walt had told me that he was going to sell the plane, and that he would give me first right and a period of time before he listed it. Needless to say, my Viking hit T.A.P, and every rag that I could advertise with! So in late 2002, I took possession of 44K. I was fortunate to acquire a plane that was in tip top condition, so instead of trying to "catch up", it has been my duty to just try to keep it up to snuff.
    Below are a few photos. The first photo is of George Borchin taken in the late 60's. The second was taken at the 2012 Convention, by Peter Lubig. I like this shot, because it is not only a really good photo of 44K, but has Walt and I in the cockpit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 44K & GB001..jpg   Mark.O.pacerN7744K&.jpg  
    Last edited by pacer44k; 01-03-2014 at 01:56 PM.
    Mark Ohlau
    1950 PA-20 N7744K
    KJAQ

So, the suspense is killing me... Did George ever get to see 44k after its restoration?

Quote Originally Posted by jwbruce View Post
    So, the suspense is killing me... Did George ever get to see 44k after its restoration?
    I am quite sure he not only saw it, but probably flew in it, too. George passed in '97.
    Mark Ohlau
    1950 PA-20 N7744K
    KJAQ